Garage door opener chain

Hello all,
I'm betting this will be an easy one for this group.
I've got an old garage door opener that's been working fine for years, but the chain broke.
How do I fix it?
Thanks!

The chain may be the same size as a bicycle. In that case, you buy a link made for repairing chains You may have to hammer a pin out of hte old one for it to fit in.

If it is the same as a bicycle, you would use a chain tool, not a hammer. The chain tool may be able to remove the bad link and reconnect the chain together. Seems odd though that the chain broke. Are you sure your springs are adjusted correctly so that the opener only guides the door and doesn't need to move the full weight of the door.
GoHabsGo wrote:

Thanks! I'll try the bicycle chain repair approach. I don't know if the springs are adjusted properly. How do I do that?

If you disengage the opener from the door, is it very heavey to lift? If the springs are set correctly, you should be able to open/close the door with one hand without straining yourself. If the door won't stay down, then the springs are too tight. If too heavey to open, then they are too loose. Adjusting the springs will depend on what type they are. It can be a dangerous task so be careful (or hire an expert, once you've determined that they are not in correct adjustment).