garage door opener

I have lift-master garage door opener , at times when I close the door it will reverse it self when it reaches the bottom , it's a chain drive 1/2 horse opener, any body have had this problem.Thanks
pacca wrote:

Shorten the down stroke just a tad.

The down stop switch may need adjusting. Also make sure it isn't twisting the track and knocking the photo eye out of alignment. I had a neighbor call me for this and one of the labels on the door had come loose and was blocking the eye when the door went down.

Very likely an electric eye problem, look at the leds, they usually show if they are aligned and working. mine show green when they are right, but every manufacturer does things a bit differently.

Check the photo cells for proper alignment and clean the lenses.
Next would be adjusting up/down force settings.

It's kind of funny how so many people assume that all GDO's are equipped with electric eyes these days.
I'm sure that there are millions of older models still in use. I've got one.
I would say that the three possible problems, in no particular order, are
Down Limit Adjustment Down Force Adjustment Electric Sensors, if so equipped
Note: If adjusting the Down Force Adjustment solves the problem, you might want to look for a root cause, such as binding near the bottom, etc. Something is telling the force limiter to reverse the door, so something has probably changed in how much feedback the sensor is getting.
On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 13:38:20 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

In this case I say the "lift-master" brand uses sensors.
I'm only familiar with one GDO maker (Mom N Pop) that makes an opener where all the sensors are in the operator.

I say Derby's point is valid. I have a Moore-Matic unit in my current garage that is 24 years old and has no electric eye sensor. I also have installed Sears units from back in the early 80s that had no electric eye sensors. I'm sure there are pleny of other ones out there that are still in use before the saftey reqt became mandatory.

My statement was made as a general observation, which may not fit this particular instance. I was merely pointing out that the "electric eye" seems to be mentioned in almost every answer to GDO questions, with rarely a "If you have sensors..." as part of the answer. It appears that just about everyone assumes that every GDO in use today has sensors.
My 198x Craftsman doesn't and the GDO's for the garage I store my trailer in (GDO brands unknown) don't. It's a 2 car garage with 2 different brands of GDO's and neither of them have sensors.
My only point was that not all GDO in operation today have sensors, so any suggestion that involves the electric eye probably should say something like "If your model has sensors..." or "Assuming your model has sensors..."
Keep in mind that in many cases we are answering questions for folks without a clue so it might save some back-and-forth if we clarify that point upfront.
That's all...no biggy.

I have a liftmaster without sensors. Liftmaster made gdos before sensors were required. And mine is only 18 years old so I'm thinking there are plenty still out there.
On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:02:03 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc

The Sears/Craftsman openers are Liftmaster. I have one and it does not have electric eyes. There is an adjustment for downward force sensitivity. You adjust it by closing the door on a roll of paper towel used to represent the family cat being squashed.

this past week on 2 of my 3 doors, and that did the trick for both.

Try DFW Garage Door & Opener Repair for all of your Garage Door Solutions http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/hss/1459624231.html
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:36:45 -0800 (PST), Brandon

set too low or both.