garage door opener

Page 1 of 2
I am considering replacing my garage door opener. The present opener (Stanley) has been in place since 1992 and has chain drive. It has worked well.
I see that there are basically two types of openers, screw drive and chain drive.
Are there advantages of screw type openers over the chain drives?
I would probably have the installation done by someone else-HD or Lowes.
Thanks.

Tell us why you are considering replacing it. If the current opener works ok, are you just trying to stimulate the economy?

The worm gear ones are definitely easier to install, assemble and adjust. I've had both over the years but prefer the screw drive. I do remember spending a lot of time assembling the chain on my old house, on my new house I installed 2 worm drives in probably one fourth the time as that old chain drive.

While not in your question, do you have the long springs that run the length of the garage or the torsion springs that are installed over the top of the door ? When the torsion springs break then will stay on the rods over the door while the long springs over the cars can hit them and cause some damage.

re: "while the long springs over the cars can hit them and cause some damage."
Not if they were installed with the containment cables:
http://www.thehardwarecity.com/?sku=4867768
A co-worker pulled into his garage, got out of his car and hit the button to close the garage door. The spring broke and smacked him across the side of the head, knocking him unconcious. He was out of work for a couple of weeks and when he came back his face was mess of stitches and bruises. The doctors said he was "lucky" it was a glancing blow or it probably would have killed him.
There are basically 2 companies that make garage door openers, Genie and Chamberlin. Chamberlin also makes the Liftmaster and Craftsman brands. I recommend Genie since they are made in the USA and you will get a warm fuzzy feeling inside to help some of your fellow American's stay employed. (I am assuming you are in the USA, if you are really in Mexico, disregard what I said and buy the Chamberlin).
As others have said, the screw drive is quieter.
On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 14:01:06 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

( my openers have rubber belts...not mention)
If you want a garage door and opener - visit:
http://www.martindoor.com /
USA family from Utah. Visit Lowe's and HD for sample material. I saved 20% at Lowe's and ONLY trained Martin Door installers are on site. This is a new twist on box store installers.
I WILL never buy a garage unit unless from them...

Oren? Are you kidding me? That sure sounds like a Utah name. What are you, the owner, the brother-in-law?
on 6/11/2009 10:17 AM (ET) Nucular Reaction wrote the following:

Where is Oren Utah? Did you mean Orem? But he stills probably owns the company. Oren is too close to Orem, and everyone in Utah owns the company. Good investigating on your part.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

No affiliation. Go to HD/Lowe's and examine the Martin doors for yourself.
If a product is good, I really don't care if it was made in Two Egg, Florida.
IIRC, the company started in California - aka People's Republic of California.

Cute. As opposed to the United Order of Utah?
You and the Stormin' Mormon should join forces and tell us all about jesus' pure love while spewing bigotry far and wide.
Right-wing dirtbag.
And, your name is Jimmuh Kottah? Peenut famah from Gaw-juh?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

He actually never answered if he was gay. He called me cute, though.
Speaking of Peanuts see:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoidE274510

I've found the screw drive easier to install and adjust and quieter. I particularly like the newest Genie I have which is their "Excelerator" model. It's opening speed is almost twice as fast as 'normal'. One genie screw drive I've got is going on 30 years old.

Why then replace it????????????????? And if replaced where would the perfectly well operating one (only 17 years old!) go; the landfill?
thanks for the replies.
we are kind of updating our house, and I just thought the garage door opener was probably nearing the end of its life. it does have a couple of minor problems that could probably be corrected by adjustments.
and I assumed that newer openers had better safety features and security features. recently, the springs broke (middle of door with long rod thru it) and the door almost fell on the car. but no damage done.
but-maybe I'll keep this one for awhile.
again, thanks for replies.
wrote:

Why then replace it????????????????? And if replaced where would the perfectly well operating one (only 17 years old!) go; the landfill?
trailer wrote:

I've got a 31-year-old, chain-drive, Craftsman. About ten years ago, I replaced the worn nylon gears. It continues to work well. It has had one upgrade: A CFL replaced the regular bulb about a year ago. And I added grease to the chain about a decade back.
As for your sprung springs, they're not part of the opener.
Regarding safety features, don't you want your children to have all the opportunities you had?
Heck, every child should have a couple scars on his forehead, a few broken bones, and several wild ass rides in the ambulance. Just sign in as Juan Martinez, and no speakie, and it's all free.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You really are a bigoted little asshole, aren't you. Are you typical of all Mormons? I guess that's why the church gat all in a lather about California Prop 8, huh?
Nucular Reaction wrote:

I think he's a realist. His chosen faith has little to do with it except that Mormons tend to lean toward pragmatism.
TDD