garage door opener

I have a single car garage door with an opener that is about ten years old. The door opens fine. When it closes still at the top it jerks down and puts up quite a racket. When about 1/3 the way down it is ok. Any ideas? Do I need to adjust the springs, one on each side. I had it serviced about a year ago and it was ok for a while.

Reply to
bigjcw1023

=46rom the description, it sounds like it is binding somewhere, which may be due to lack of lubrication on the wheels, tracks, hinges, etc.

First thing to do is disconnect the door from the opener and work it by hand. It should move relatively freely through the entire range. And it should be balanced so that if you let go of it at any point, it will just about stay there by itself, or at least take only a very minimal force to hold it. If it's lubed and not binding, then you can adjust the springs, if necessary. Just make sure you know how before you do. Key is the door must be all the way up and held in place with vice grips or similar, so there is little tension on the springs.

Reply to
trader4