Garage Door Maintenance Questions

My garage door isn't as smooth and quiet as it used to be. Not that it was that quiet in the first place. It uses the chain mechnism, instead of one of those bolt setup.

But now, I often find it to jerky and harsh when I open or close it. There is a sticker on the door left on it by the company which installed it and says to call every year for its annual service.

But was wondering if any of you happen to know what the typical garage door maintenance involves and would like to see if I can do them myself? This is what I have,

Any input, suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated on this. Thanks for your time and courtesy.

Reply to
AI

On a yearly basis, I spray Garage Door Lubricant (which can be bought at most Home Improvement stores) on the outer rails where the roller slides. I also spray the chain mechanism track. I check the actual door panels to make sure all bolts are tight. That's it for maintenance, except replacing the light bulbs when they burn out. I don't what else a repair company will do if it's working and just squeaking a little.

Rob

Reply to
rlz

Thats about all I do also, A couple of years ago I did replace the rollers with ones with nylon wheels. Super quiet now. Check alignment of the tracks. I think wife bumped mine a couple of years ago and knocked it ut a hair

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Thats about all I do also, A couple of years ago I did replace the rollers with ones with nylon wheels. Super quiet now. Check alignment of the tracks. I think wife bumped mine a couple of years ago and knocked it ut a hair

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

The door should move up and down with equal force without the opener attached, there is a quick release at the door, pull the rope and release it and see if door binds by moving it by hand, if springs dont pull evenly it might need pro adjustment, I oil and get someone out when it breaks.

Reply to
ransley

have,

Hi, If it is jerky, etc. try to open/close manually to feel it. And wet the springs with motor oil soaked rag. Check and make sure cables are in good shape as well. I use Teflon spray lubricant very lighly.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

All posters gave correct advice, follow them and you should be in great shape.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Reply to
Michael B

Is the door properly balanced? Disconnect it from the opener and pull it so that the bottom edge is halfway up. Let go. If the door stays there, it's properly balanaced. If not, the springs are out of adjustment. This you'll have to call in for service.

Reply to
Bob M.

There is a list of garage door maintenance. It includes cleaning, lubricating, testing, checking/tightening of all bolts and fasteners. A tueup will reduce the clatter noise, maintain safety, improve operation and extend the life of your door.

Reply to
Phisherman

I was thinking the same thing, especially if the rollers are nylon. The rollers are made to roll, the track isn't made to slide.

Reply to
Tony

But the rollers usually have bearings, in which a light oil is useful to keep free movement.

Reply to
Twayne