Garage Door Maintenance Questions

My garage door isn't as smooth and quiet as it used to be. Not that it was that quiet in the first place. It uses the chain mechnism, instead of one of those bolt setup.
But now, I often find it to jerky and harsh when I open or close it. There is a sticker on the door left on it by the company which installed it and says to call every year for its annual service.
But was wondering if any of you happen to know what the typical garage door maintenance involves and would like to see if I can do them myself? This is what I have, http://www.garagehowto.com/overhead-door-python-2.html
Any input, suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated on this. Thanks for your time and courtesy.

On a yearly basis, I spray Garage Door Lubricant (which can be bought at most Home Improvement stores) on the outer rails where the roller slides. I also spray the chain mechanism track. I check the actual door panels to make sure all bolts are tight. That's it for maintenance, except replacing the light bulbs when they burn out. I don't what else a repair company will do if it's working and just squeaking a little.
Rob

Thats about all I do also, A couple of years ago I did replace the rollers with ones with nylon wheels. Super quiet now. Check alignment of the tracks. I think wife bumped mine a couple of years ago and knocked it ut a hair
Jimmie

Thats about all I do also, A couple of years ago I did replace the rollers with ones with nylon wheels. Super quiet now. Check alignment of the tracks. I think wife bumped mine a couple of years ago and knocked it ut a hair
Jimmie
rlz wrote:

If it is jerky, etc. try to open/close manually to feel it. And wet the springs with motor oil soaked rag. Check and make sure cables are in good shape as well. I use Teflon spray lubricant very lighly.

All posters gave correct advice, follow them and you should be in great shape.
I do some of the things, with lithium grease, but I NEVER lubricate the rails. I fopund before that it encourages the accumulation of debris on the inner rail trace.

Michael B wrote:

I was thinking the same thing, especially if the rollers are nylon. The rollers are made to roll, the track isn't made to slide.
But the rollers usually have bearings, in which a light oil is useful to keep free movement.
Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.

The door should move up and down with equal force without the opener attached, there is a quick release at the door, pull the rope and release it and see if door binds by moving it by hand, if springs dont pull evenly it might need pro adjustment, I oil and get someone out when it breaks.
On 2/20/2010 3:29 PM, AI wrote:

Is the door properly balanced? Disconnect it from the opener and pull it so that the bottom edge is halfway up. Let go. If the door stays there, it's properly balanaced. If not, the springs are out of adjustment. This you'll have to call in for service.

There is a list of garage door maintenance. It includes cleaning, lubricating, testing, checking/tightening of all bolts and fasteners. A tueup will reduce the clatter noise, maintain safety, improve operation and extend the life of your door.