Garage door lift bracket - alignment out of whack?

The part I'm talking about is the bottom bracket to which the pull cable attaches in extension spring doors. It has a little 'nub' coming off the side that you loop the pull cable on.

My issue is that I'm not sure how to properly align the bracket and tracks to avoid the nub scraping against the side of the track. If I move the track further from the door on both sides, it will clear the nub, but if for some reason it shifts to one side (there is nothing keeping it from doing so) we are back to it scraping.

The most logical thing would be to move the track closer in, so that it is spaced from the door by the notches in the roller bars. This way, its always going to stay even on both sides. The problem there is that the door still has some room to move forwards and backwards within the track (the track is wider than the size of the roller drum). If it swings forward at all, the nub is again scraping the track and causing the door to stick.

Its possible I have the wrong bracket. Mine has a 1 & 1/4" flange while the door is actually 2" deep. But, this is the originally installed bracket, and I assume its correct as it places the pull cable roughly in the center of gravity for the door.

Hopefully my description made sense to someone. Can anyone explain the proper way to align this bracket and the track to avoid it getting jammed?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
jeff37

As an update, I've read in several places that the gap between the track and the door should be 1/2". Of course, this means that the nub / button that the pull cable hooks to is in range to scrape the track. The only way it would not is if the door rests away from the garage (towards the driveway) when it is in the vertical position. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how that can occur. Am I supposed to angle the vertical bracket to cause this to happen? Seems like everything I've read says to keep it straight up and down.

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
jeff37