Garage door legal question.

Page 2 of 3

A garage door is not personal property once it is attached to the house. Some non-permanent fixtures like drapes can be removed with approval of the owner but I'm sure you would be liable if you removed the garage door.
Steve wrote:

mortgage comes first.

Very good point.
Wonder if it was put on plastic that was also defaulted on.
Red Green wrote:

is this a great country or what?

Who knows why people who are in over their head just tend to KEEP DIGGING! I know 2 or 3 people in just that position. One coworker even asked me for some financial advice. I looked over his finances and found that while he was in pretty deep, if he quite spending he could pull his way out in about 2 years. He thanked me and we didn't speak of it for about a year. He finally cam back to me and said my plan had failed. I was puzzled until he let me look at his numbers again and found he was almost twice as far in debt as he was when I first advised him. What's more he count not show me one thing that he had bought for the $15K of debt he'd added in that year.
I apologized and walked away. He has since been foreclosed on.
Mark wrote:

The last time I heard people at work discuss their credit card debt, I was amazed....$3K, $6K.....nothing, compared to the sad stories in the news every day. I think it pretty normal for young people to over-use cc's and learn from the experience, but the current problems are pretty scary. Like billions of dollars of value that have "evaporated", and I don't think the dust has settled, yet.

That value was never there in reality. And if someone paid $1 million for a house that was worth $600K, that $400K didn't evaporate, it went to the smart seller.
I have a relative that has maxed out her credit cards, maxed out her HELOC, and still continues to spend foolishly. She went to get her relatively new Accord serviced and left the dealer with a new CR-V, that of course she not only over-paid for, but bought an extended warranty on.
SMS wrote:

When one buys on cc, they essentially are loaned the money for goods and services. When they default, somebody loses.

Yep feel really bad for the predatory credit card companies, that charge near loan shark rates......
NOT!!
They KNEW what percentage couldnt pay, what percentage would go bankrupt, what percentage of familys would be torn apart for their profit chasing........
just like the banks who made the sub prime loans.
everyone was making tons of money why worry?
look if the owner who is getting tossed out doesnt remove everything of value, some scrapper will while its vacant.
I feel sorry for EVERYONE this recession has hurt, and will continue to hurt for a lifetime.
if government hadnt been totally inept they would of thrown a life preserver to the sub primers before they sank our entire economy.
not untill trhe big boy wealthy banks began to fail; did government respond.
costing way more than helping at the beginning........
all parties in the $$$ feeding frenzy deserve what they are getting........
did you know anyone declaring bankruptcy get shiney new credit cards?
this happened to a old friend, the CC companies know she cant go bankrupt for 7 years lets feed again..........
the old rules of lending got forgotten:(
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You forget that the government caused the problem to start with. In essence forcing Affirmative Action Lending on the banks. You should know that whenever government fixes something, the cure is worse than the disease.
http://tinyurl.com/59hs8e
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Paul Krugman, who has a Nobel Prize in economics, has a different view http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2010508435_krugman151.html
"Talk to conservatives about the financial crisis and you enter an alternative, bizarro universe in which government bureaucrats, not greedy bankers, caused the meltdown."
He includes minor details, like "only one of the top 25 subprime lenders was subject to the regulations."
--
bud--

bud-- wrote:

At least we can all agree about one thing, "greed" was involved.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

credit card companies provide instant credit to nearly every American with just folks signing their name. Interest rates are published up front. If you don't like the terms, don't borrow their money! We could go back to pre credit card days where loan sharks offered you credit at about 100% interest per month and liked to break your legs if you were late on your payments. Credit cards made cash advances an option for everyone at reasonable (maybe a bit high) rates, but not outrageous and not 'hidden'. paul

CC companies, seeing a borrower in distress raise rates to 35% tacking on late fees and over limit fees, rather than work with customer, they prey on those in trouble.
then they wonder why people go bankrupt..........
recently they raised rates on even borrowers with perfect credit.
pushing pre approved cards on those in trouble only makes things worse.
bankruptcy and foreclosure ruins peoples lives, and breaks up familys.
thats horrible
<snip>

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/petros753/you-make-bunny-cry.jpg
Master Betty wrote:

WARNING!! WARNING!! CUTE OVERLOAD!!
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Not everyone...if mommy and daddy maxed out the credit cards, then burned through home equity to pay the bills, it will educate junior and, possibly, make a few people realize what "responsibility" means.

I feel the same, sometimes, but the costs filter down to responsible people who pay more for whatever the buy or borrow. There is a horrible level of entitlement among all classes of people in the US...the price of oil vs. conserving, max borrowing vs. saving for the future, the "I can't retire now because my 401k went down the tubes"? Hell, retire later then. I want to gag when I hear all of the bs about how to tell junior that Santa can't bring him EVERYTHING he WANTS.
I'd like to put some money in the bank so's they can make those hard-to-find loans :o) I could make, oh, 1%? I was trying to buy milk and baby food back when my parents were earning 13% on CD's. I think that was when Jimmy Carter was the hot candidate because he reduced the size of gov't in Georgia ..
I'm kind of puzzled that whenever everyone's most/least favorite president is named, Eisenhower's name never comes up. Did we worry too much about getting nuked to care what he did?

Horse hockey! It was a vast ____-wing conspiracy :o)In my little condo of 8 units, three are for sale, owned by (formerly?) very wealthy speculators....moaning about being unable to pay their mortgages but all sitting empty! Hell, wouldn't one at least rent them? Got a sewer line that needs repair, has backed up into our unit 3 times....I'd have to make friends with board members to get it done...they are pretty rough to deal with when one is "disagreeable".

President O Debacle wrote:

Maybe he took out an equity loan and had bought an expensive car that he wanted to protect.
This first started, I was reading about a poor woman in California that bought a house for $150,000 but now could not afford the $300,000 she owed on it. Poor baby.

My legal advice would be to see a professional. [lawyer- not psychiatrist, necessarily]
It could turn out ok if the bank has been as uncooperative as you say. Hopefully you'll get a judge as agreeable as this one on Long Island, NY- http://blogs.wsj.com/developments/2009/11/25/happy-thanksgiving-judge-erases-long-island-familys-mortgage /
He is quoted in his decision; since February 24, 2009 (and perhaps earlier) has been and is inequitable, unconscionable, vexatious and opprobrious.
Sent me to the dictionary- but they are all in there.
You've got a hard row to hoe no matter what you do. don't make it worse and go on advice you get on Usenet. If you can't afford a lawyer find out how to get free *real* legal advice. It is out there.
Jim

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/CHATTEL