Garage door legal question.

Page 1 of 3

Hi everyone. We will be walking out of our house shortly in CA. I am selling everything that can be remove and one of the item is the garage door which I paid for about over two years ago. Is there any legal issure with the bank after we walk out?
Thanks
Add pictures here
✖
Steve wrote:

Anything attached to the house is considered a fixture, part of the real property, and belongs to the lien holder. If you added an electric opener, you might be able to take that, but to leave a gaping opening will no doubt piss off the bank, and could make them more likely to remember to totally trash your credit for walking away. If you HAVE to walk away from the house, best to be up-front about it with the bank, keep them informed of the schedule, leave the place clean and lockable, and drop off the keys on the way out of town. Ask them what they want you to do with the utilities- switch them off, or let the bank switch the billing to their in-house or outsourced people that take care of bank-owned properties. If you live where it freezes, and you turn off the heat, and the pipes burst and cause a flood, the bank will not be happy.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖
aemeijers wrote:

Garage doors are usually pretty heavy, and there is a lot of potential energy in the springs. Perhaps when Steve tries to steal the door, he'll be gravely injured and improve the gene pool.
Add pictures here
✖

Why not ask the bank or your lawyer? Will you be putting back the door that was there when you moved in? Will you also be taking any roof shingles, bathroom tiles, or plumbing fixtures that you might have replaced during your stay in the house?
Folks, I think this is a good example of why trying to make everybody a home "owner" was such a bad idea.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 13, 6:13 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Neill Massello) wrote:

My thoughts too. "Walking out" also does not dismiss debts like mortgage, home loans or liens.
Add pictures here
✖

I believe you're trolling. Why would you ask this question in a home repair group if not?
Cheri
Add pictures here
✖

But it geves others a chance to vent.
Add pictures here
✖

Well, you're right about that, and me...a chance to chastise him for posting it here. It's all good. LOL
Cheri
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, as best it would be negligence on your part to leave the opening. Could be much worse so consult a lawyer before you take the door. For the few buck you may get, a law suit or even a criminal charge is not worth it.
Add pictures here
✖
Thanks, everyone for your input. It's not for a few bucks, nor do we care of our credit either. Before we decided to walk out, we tried to talk to the bank, they either are not interested or do they care. They make it impossible to communicate with them. So why should we care now? Don't forget they are making tons of $$$$ and paying off the TARP so their Managers or whatever get huge bonuses and the Obama's administration is full of Wall Streets greedy lobbyists and tax cheaters. Where are the CHANGES?

Add pictures here
✖

You say you don't care about your credit, so where are you planning on living after you leave. Your credit rating dictates everything from the cost of your car insurance, acceptance by a landlord for rental or any future mortgages.
Add pictures here
✖
EXT wrote:

Don't potential employers also run credit checks and such?
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, that is also a potential down side to destroying your credit rating, along with many others that don't come to mind at this time.
Add pictures here
✖
Steve wrote:

Might change when folks carry only affordable debt and don't buy doors for homes they can't afford to pay for.
Add pictures here
✖

✖

Frankly, folks here are not interested in your politics and views. You have a moral obligation to pay your debit.
STOP blaming everything on your failure.
One day you think you can sleep better, because you took a garage door?!
Add pictures here
✖
Steve wrote:

Because you entered into a contract with them.
I'm really fed up with people like you...people who feel no obligation to be responsible...people who think only of themselves...people who stick everyone else with additional debt because they are too childish to honor their obligations.
The fact that you want to rip off (steal) a garage door speaks volumes.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
wrote Re Re: Garage door legal question.:

Because you are not scumbags?

+1

✖
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Consulting a lawyer may be equivocal.
Some time back, I ran into an old school buddy. During the conversation, he (a lawyer) allowed as how he was putting his money into rental property and one of his renters (not lease, month-to-month rent), built a six-foot cedar fence around the back yard. Now he and I both knew that this fence becomes part of the property, so I asked him what he did about the renter.
"I raised his rent by $25 a month," was the answer! When I asked him how in good conscience he could do that, his lawyer-think answer was:
"I convinced him the property was now more valuable."
Add pictures here
✖
HeyBub wrote:

Add pictures here