Garage door key switch

Page 1 of 2
I have an old Sears garage door opener, and there is a small remote lock switch mounted outside the door in the door frame. When you turn the key, two wires leading from the switch to the opener are shorted together, and the door opens, or closes.
The key still turns fine in the lock, but no short is created. I've removed insulation from the wires just inside the garage, as close to the switch as I can get, and creating a short there opens the door. So the problem appears to be inside the switch.
I just want to know if there's anything I need to look out for when repairing or replacing the switch. It appears to be mounted so that if I were a bad guy trying to remove the switch and shorting the wires, pulling the switch out would leave the wires behind. But it still seems vulnerable, and I wonder if I can improve things.
Anyway, any "look outs" for me?
Thanks
On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 6:56:00 PM UTC-5, Peabody wrote:

Shorting is a term for an overload...you are making a low-voltage "connection". Not sure what you're asking though?
On 9/4/2016 5:08 PM, bob_villa wrote:

Rubbish!
I would beware of burglars. Those key switches, when they work, are easy prey.
On 9/4/2016 7:28 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

+1 (to Taxed & Spent's). Peabody, lose the key lock and pick up a keypad. No wires, no problems. Secure as the rolling remote in the car, easy to install!
On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 7:28:32 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:

If an electrician tells me otherwise, I will accept it...not coming from a limey.
On 9/4/2016 8:43 PM, bob_villa wrote:

How about a good old US of A Electrical Engineer, you sap?
On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 12:02:56 AM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:

If you were...you wouldn't say "rubbish". UK stuff like, "spot-on"...keep that shit over there!
On 9/5/2016 7:09 AM, bob_villa wrote:

Are you daft, man?
Mon, 05 Sep 2016 11:54:25 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

It looks like an invisible beam style sensor?
Diesel explained on 9/5/2016 :

Yep, one side emits a beam and the other detects it. Usually infrared.
On 9/5/2016 3:00 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:

Yes! And if you walk through the "U" while the door is in operation it reverses the door or stops it! ;)
Mon,

Hmm...This particular design looks like it's responsible for letting the garage door opener know that the door is down. IE: stop position sensor...
As, it's too small to be the safety reverse; I don't see how you'd break it if you happened to get in the doors way.
Monster,
What was it's function in the garage door opener?
Diesel brought next idea :

I assumed it was a gate in which an obstruction tab gets in the slot, like a travel limit sensor. VCRs eject mechanisms have similar shaped sensors. Without seeing where it is located, it is hard to guess.
Tue, 06 Sep 2016 00:13:21 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I see.. good point, interesting comparison. It's been a long time since I've opened a VCR. [g]
Diesel laid this down on his screen :

Someone else's post has reminded me that the supply and take-up reels on the deck also has these to detect reel RPMs. When you rewind using the deck instead of a cheap rewinder it "knows" to slow down near the beginning so as to not slam stop and possibly break the tape.
There are many applications for these.
Tue, 06 Sep 2016 00:13:21 GMT

Yep. I've seen them used in other devices including gate openers...
Mon,

Ahh...

Is that a good thing?
On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 11:43:38 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:

Too lazy to use google again, I see. A short circuit doesn't mean there is an overload. It just means there is some direct, typically unintended connection or fault in a circuit. You could have a short on the wiring going to a low voltage, low current sensor, where it will not work, but there is no overload, for example. It's also common to say that to reset this device, you short pins 1 and 3 together while applying power, etc.
On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 8:18:23 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

...I agree, unintended...and not usually done!

Why do you need it? Don't you have a remote for each car?
After my father died, my mother had an extra remote. She has it in the breakfast area and can now close the garage from the floor above.