Garage door is off track

Page 2 of 2

A door doesnt just go off track onless there is something really wrong. I would get out a pro and find out why, but every pro ive had out wanted to sell me a cheap door, and my door is probably the most expensive and well made and perfectly maintained door ive seen, so beware of what they try to sell you, best is get bids unless the guy just shows you an easy fix, i would not mess with the big overhead round wound springs that maintain torsion, the long spring going lenghtwise with the tracks are less dangerous, but still can harm you.

re: "every pro ive had out wanted to sell me a cheap door, and my door is probably the most expensive and well made and perfectly maintained door ive seen"
OK, I'm totally confused. I'm not doubting what you're saying, I just don't understand it.
If the door is "perfectly maintained" why are you having pros out? The words"every pro" (at least to me) indicates at least 3 pros have been out.
Why have you had so many visits from the pros for "the most expensive and well made and perfectly maintained door" you've ever seen?

Is it off-track or broken spring? A broken spring can cause a door to drop which might knock it off track. Getting the roller back in the track is no big deal if there is no other damage.
I have repaired tension springs before and it takes care and time --- You can get hurt. I WOULD NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TO REPAIR A TORSION SPRING!!! Those things store a lot of energy, can spring loose during the repair and maim or kill you. An old co-worker who lost part of a hand trying to do a torsion spring repair; and his son received several stitches in his head from the same accident.
RonB

I've replaced numerous torsion springs - you NEED to know what you are doing, and to be careful. Many of the ones I changed were BIG ones - on 10 foot wide, 12 foot high doors. (car dealer service bays)
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I used to have to rehang and reset the spring on one of two doors in the condo I used to live in (sometimes on a monthly bases). They were usually knocked off by ding bat drivers. Good thing we always had video (not to mention the ID of the remote last used to open the door from the receiver) so we could confront and at times charge the dopes for the repair.
In typed:

If you don't know, you need a repairman. IMO you've shown your level of expertise by not describing which of several setups you may have there, each requiring different things, all dangerous at times. Get a repairman.
HTH,
Twayne`
bob callaway wrote the following:

Is it a powered door? If powered, does it have the coiled spring above the door or the long springs on the sides? Is it currently all the way up, all the way down, or somewhere in between? How many rollers are off track? Is it off track on one side, or both? Is it a multi panel door or a single panel door? Is it wood, or aluminum? (weight). It would help if we all know the specifics before we make wild ass guesses that don't apply to your situation.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
bob callaway wrote:

Hi, Sounds like a spring problem or broken cable. If you have proper tools and what you are upto It can be DIY job. But to be on the safe side I'll call for service. I did it once and next time No.

The answer is yes, no, I don't know, definitely, and maybe. If it was mine, and it was just a wheel off track, or something identifiable and DIY fixable, I would do it myself. But you don't seem to even be able to look at it and write down what you see so we can give you a reasonable response.
I'd vote for the repairman.
Steve