Garage door has shifted to the side and sticks

I have an aluminum garage (overhead) door that has shifted to the right. It is one where it has lift springs on each side. I cannot figure out what caused it unless something happened with the heavy snowload we have had here around the great lakes this winter. I can see where the weather stripping has left a mark about an inch of the wear mark was is now showing. Any ideas as to what I can do before I shell out the $$$ for the overhead door company to come look at it?

Reply to
TomM in NY

Garage doors are dangerous to work on. Plus there are crooks in the business. If Wayne Dalton is in your area, call them up and see if they service other brand doors (assuming your is not a Wayne Dalton door). If that is not an option, be careful of any large yellow pages ads advertising "precision" repairs for $29.95. It is just a come-on and they will claim you need $600 of service for a minor problem.

If the door is 7+ years old you should probably get the springs changed anyway since they are likely to go sooon.

Reply to
Art

you should have two springs. one on each side.. the side that is higher up is probably the good spring.. the side that is laying low is probably the bad spring.... check the springs..... or see if the spring came off one of the areas where it is suppose to be like the other side????

Reply to
jim

Open the door half way by hand & shift the door back to the left by pulling on the bottom of the door (it should move quite easily). Move the bottom of the track on the right closer to the door so it can't shift back. The track should be tighter at the bottom then at the top & if it is tight enough at the bottom the door will always close in the same position. The vertical tracks should be in a slight "V" instead of being plumb up & down.

Doordoc

Doordoc

doors (assuming your is not a Wayne Dalton door). If that is not an option, be careful of any large yellow pages ads advertising "precision" repairs for $29.95. It is just a come-on and they will claim you need $600 of service for a minor problem.

Reply to
Bill

replying to Doordoc, Bill wrote: My garage door shifted to the right, this causing the top door panel to hit the door glide, and cause the door to stop at that point. I tried to shift the door back to the left side, but it would come back to the right side over time. To fix it: Really simple, I put two zip ties around the post between the door roller and the hinge its attached to, this keeping the door from hitting the door glide. Now the door work fine, forever!

Reply to
Bill

replying to TomM in NY, Bill wrote: My garage door shifted to the right, this causing the top door panel to hit the door glide, and cause the door to stop at that point. I tried to shift the door back to the left side, but it would come back to the right side over time. To fix it: Really simple, I put two zip ties around the post between the door roller and the hinge its attached to, this keeping the door from hitting the door glide. Now the door work fine, forever!

Reply to
Bill

Oren posted for all of us...

But but but The door work fine, forever!

Reply to
Tekkie®