Garage door has shifted to the side and sticks

I have an aluminum garage (overhead) door that has shifted to the right. It is one where it has lift springs on each side. I cannot figure out what caused it unless something happened with the heavy snowload we have had here around the great lakes this winter. I can see where the weather stripping has left a mark about an inch of the wear mark was is now showing. Any ideas as to what I can do before I shell out the $$$ for the overhead door company to come look at it?
Garage doors are dangerous to work on. Plus there are crooks in the business. If Wayne Dalton is in your area, call them up and see if they service other brand doors (assuming your is not a Wayne Dalton door). If that is not an option, be careful of any large yellow pages ads advertising "precision" repairs for $29.95. It is just a come-on and they will claim you need $600 of service for a minor problem.
If the door is 7+ years old you should probably get the springs changed anyway since they are likely to go sooon.

It is

caused it

the
mark
can
at it?
TomM in NY wrote:

you should have two springs. one on each side.. the side that is higher up is probably the good spring.. the side that is laying low is probably the bad spring.... check the springs..... or see if the spring came off one of the areas where it is suppose to be like the other side????
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (TomM in NY) wrote in message

Open the door half way by hand & shift the door back to the left by pulling on the bottom of the door (it should move quite easily). Move the bottom of the track on the right closer to the door so it can't shift back. The track should be tighter at the bottom then at the top & if it is tight enough at the bottom the door will always close in the same position. The vertical tracks should be in a slight "V" instead of being plumb up & down.
Doordoc www.DoorsAndOpeners.com