Garage door down spring and cables not connected can't raise it.

Power outage and raised the door by hand and wires came off track. Managed to get the door down and now trying to adjust the pulleys all the tension in the spring (I have a center one) is all let out. Can't lift the door and since the spring isn't preloaded the opener just stops.
Whats the trick here, how do I get the door open again?
When I get the door open should I re-attach and align the wires/pulleys when the door is all the way open right? Any tricks to make sure things are aligned?
Then it will preload the spring when it comes back down, right?
Solution, get teens off the couch to act as the springs and help push it up with the door opener running. Re-attached the cables and it is working although I'd really like to know how to align the thing better.
On Friday, November 2, 2012 5:39:22 PM UTC-4, noname wrote:

With the door opener disconnected, you adjust the tension on the coil springs on each side so the door goes down straight and is equally difficult to open and close, ie, it is well-balanced. Then you reconnect the closer.
On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 17:58:48 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

with the door opener running. Re-attached the cables and it is working although I'd really like to know how to align the thing better.

to get the door down and now trying to adjust the pulleys all the tension in the spring (I have a center one) is all let out. Can't lift the door and since the spring isn't preloaded the opener just stops.

when the door is all the way open right? Any tricks to make sure things are aligned?

I believe that the OP has a torsion spring and they can be dangerous to adjust if one doesn't know what they are doing. I would suggest that he contact a garage door installer to inspect and, if necessary, adjust the mechanism.
On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 20:28:54 -0500, Gordon Shumway

with the door opener running. Re-attached the cables and it is working although I'd really like to know how to align the thing better.

Managed to get the door down and now trying to adjust the pulleys all the tension in the spring (I have a center one) is all let out. Can't lift the door and since the spring isn't preloaded the opener just stops.

when the door is all the way open right? Any tricks to make sure things are aligned?

+1!

with the door opener running. Re-attached the cables and it is working although I'd really like to know how to align the thing better.

to get the door down and now trying to adjust the pulleys all the tension in the spring (I have a center one) is all let out. Can't lift the door and since the spring isn't preloaded the opener just stops.

with the door opener running. Re-attached the cables and it is working although I'd really like to know how to align the thing better.HHi, Bad advice. You never work on grage door when it is open. If OP is not sure of what to do, try perusing Youtube to get some idea. Working on garage door can be dangerous and cause of serious injury. Again never work on it when opened.

with the door opener running. Re-attached the cables and it is working although I'd really like to know how to align the thing better.

Why? There isn't any (much) tension on the springs when it's open.
Power outage and raised the door by hand and wires came off track. Managed to get the door down and now trying to adjust the pulleys all the tension in the spring (I have a center one) is all let out. Can't lift the door and since the spring isn't preloaded the opener just stops.
Whats the trick here, how do I get the door open again?
When I get the door open should I re-attach and align the wires/pulleys when the door is all the way open right? Any tricks to make sure things are aligned?
Then it will preload the spring when it comes back down, right?
The door remains closed while attaching the cable and tightening the spring. The spring should have no tension, then attach the cable, then tighten the spring.
Before doing the above, the door should move freely. It may be heavy, depending on the size, but still moves freely. If not, check to see what is binding. Check all rollers, hinges, etc. It should move as if there isn't an opener attached. Once the door moves freely, then the above steps can be accomplished.
To set the tension, the door should be about waist high. If it's a panel door, it should balance in the middle. In other words, the door should not move at that point. If it moves up, the tension is too high. If it drops, the tension is too low.

get the door down and now trying to adjust the pulleys all the tension in the spring (I have a center one) is all let out. Can't lift the door and since the spring isn't preloaded the opener just stops.

Call the overhead door company. You're likely to kill yourself messing with it.

Agree, totally.
Greg