garage door does open but won't close

I have no problem openning my garage door but it won't close. If I push the botton on the remote control while the door is open, it will try to close but will either immediately or in a few seconds reverse . If I release the door from the door opener, the door opener would work fine. Thus, it seems the door is making the door opener mulfuctioning. What could be the reason?

When you release the door from the track, can you open & close the door by hand without it binding?
And if so - is there anything blocking the electric safety eyes (if so provided?)

Should have clarified that in my original posting. My fault.
I can open and close the door by hand when it's not bound to the door opener. Also, the sensor light stays green during the whole process. The door opener is made by Sears (Craftman brand). If there is something blocking the sensor beam, the light should turn yellow. It does not. Yet the light on the door opener, not the sensor light, flashes as soon as the door reverses, behaving exactly like either there is an obstruction or something is blocking the beam.
Jim Mc Namara wrote:

I had this problem a few years ago and the company told me my photoelectric thingys were out of adjustment. I moved them around a bit, and it has been fine ever since.
You might have a completely different problem, but it is worth a try.

photoelectric
been
I had the same problem..... I have a Sears Unit and the electric eyes were slightly out of adjustment. They showed a green light (Slightly dimmer) too. Also might want to wipe the lens on them too.
: I had the same problem..... I have a Sears Unit and the electric eyes were : slightly out of adjustment. They showed a green light (Slightly dimmer) : too. Also might want to wipe the lens on them too.
Make that #3 having the same problem, but for me it turned out to be a microswitch going bad in the travel limit adjustment assembly.
"Howard Goldstein" wrote

A lightening storm caused my door to misbehave. It opens automatically, but to close it I have to hold the button down.
Terry Sayers wrote:

That's exactly my problem. The eyes were out of alignment. I wonder where I got the wrong idea that the light would turn yellow when out of alignment.

It's not the photo-cells. If it were the opener wouldn't work fine when the door is dis-connected. There are a number of possibilities. 1) Too much spring tension on door when open 2) Bottom of door binding against jamb as it comes out of the curved part of the track 3) Down force or clutch force on door opener set too low 4) Defective logic board 5) RPM sensor going bad 6) Chain or belt (if you have that type) too tight 7) Too heavy of grease on screw drive type It would help to have the brand, type, and approx age to narrow the list down.
Doordoc www.DoorsAndOpeners.com