Garage door closing with a clunk

Page 2 of 2
Tony Hwang wrote:

Lou
Tony Hwang wrote:

Or the attachment point.
HeyBub wrote:

solve the problem. What is "the attachment point"?
Lou
LouB wrote:

It may have another name. It's where and how the door attaches to the opening mechanism. The opener may not know the door is all the way down and keeps pushing. Maybe you can adjust the attachment point such that the opener stops when the door is, oh, 1/2" from the full travel. That is, the opener has gone as far as it can go and stops, rather than stopping when it meets resistance.

You can adjust a limit switch to stop an inch from the floor, 6 inches, or 1/8". Or you can set it so it tries to lift the garage or lower the driveway - in which case the overload switch shuts it off, or more likely reverses it. If the limit is too low it will try to tear the drive track off the wall.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Ah, thanks for the clarification. My opener never fails, so I don't get down in the weeds with it. When it starts to squeak, I glob on a layer of chicken fat and it's good to go for another five years or so.
HeyBub wrote:

Lou