Garage door center support

The center support (On the opposite side the spring tensioned) pulled the lag screw out of the 4X6 wood piece it was screwed into. It pivoted up, and pretty much jammed the door. I called the guys who repaired the door last spring (Replaced the spring) and they can't get to it for at least a week. Looks like I am going to have to do the job myself. I have worked on garage doors before but I don't relish the idea of working with that damn spring. I have the tools, need some advise. Thanks Bill

Reply to
Bill

Clamp a vise grip onto the shaft so it is against the wall preventing the shaft from rotating and the cables coming off the drums. Keep away from that center support until the tension is off the spring.. Using a pair of winding bars that fit securely all the way into the winding plug, unwind the springs, remove the tension completely off the spring. Secure a NEW "mounting pad" to the wall using a couple of lags. DO NOT NAIL IT IN PLACE. Strike a line level from the center of the shaft on one side to the center of the shaft on the other. Remount your center support and springs on center then wind em up. Download the instructions here:

Cindy

Rich

I learned the hard way about that center support. The lower lag screw that held the center support was out all the way, and the upper one bent over at quite an angle. I took off the tension off the spring, had the locking bolts backed out and rotated the locking collar in the opposite direction. Everything was fine until I got the upper lag screw on the center support out all the way. Apparently, due to the length of the spring, there was some tension still stored toward the locking end. Once the lag screw was out, the center support spun around a couple of times, no harm done, but it was a surprise and quite exciting. I plan on drilling all the way through the

2X6's that the center support mounts to and use a good old 3/8" bolt and nut arrangement. I can see where someone could get hurt REALLY bad doing this. Thanks for the links Bill

"Rich" > week. Looks like I am going to have to do the job myself. I have worked

Reply to
Bill

Leave your car(s) parked in the driveway until the pros from Dover arrive to fix you up. Otherwise you may end up in the hospital.

Joe

Reply to
Patrick Cleburne

I almost cut my head off with a garage door. Leave it alone until the pros come out.

Reply to
Art

I dunno about you guys, I installed a very large [18x8] door and had no problems, no close calls and no worries. Two bars and a wrench. Most dangerous thing in the process is the ladder

Reply to
yourname

With the door UP, there is not much tension on the springs. Block the door up with 2x4s. DO NOT use a LAG screw. Use a BOLT with large washers. Problem solved....

Reply to
maradcliff

Bill contact me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com I should be able to help you. Best Regards Anthony At Anthony's Door Systems.

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

g.a.miller

Bill this is a simple yet tricky thing to repair and VERY DANGEROUS if not careful. Take 2 --1/2"x18" steel bars. Insert bars into holes on winding plug. Hold on to bar tight. Loosen set screws on winding plug one at a time. If your cables wrap from the backside on the drum your bars will have tension coming towards the floor. If your cables going to your drum wrap from the front you will have tension going toward the ceiling. Be careful any other question email me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Best Regards Anthony