Garage door bottom weather strip

Find out that the reason I'm replacing the weather strip is that the garage is below a living room for the back apartment. Cold air blew in during the winter, and made the floor cold in the apartment. I hadn't thought of that, but it does make sense.

Anyhow, the job started with the tear off. I used the claw of a claw hammer to pry betwen the nails, and the rubber ripped off in chunks.

Much of the rubber stayed under the heads of the nails, and made it dificult to get a hammer claw under the nails. More pounding and prying to get the rubber out from under the nails heads.

Most of the nails were bdly rusted. I tried a claw hammer (the nail heads bend, takes three bites and yanks with the hammer claw to get the nail out). The diags pliers I brought were okay, but not great. I decided not to bring the fence pliers, though maybe I ought have.

So, the nails came out. I unrolled the new weather strip and put it hanging over the right end about three inches. One nail. Stretch a bit and put in another nail about three feet from the start. Used my fingers to line up the ede of the door and the corner fold of the weather strip.

One nail about every three feet, just by eye. Went back and used the head of the hammer as a mesaure, so I put the nails about every six inches. Managed to bend over one nail. Could not get it out (part of the nail head broke off while I pried on it). I sank another nail right next to it, covered the bent nail, mostly.

Cut the ends of he strip with a razor nkife. Close the door, and trim the ends to fit. Use the customer's broom and dust pan to seweeep up the nails. Pick ed up some of the nails with a telescoping magnet.

He was pleased to see a good seal, and less light seen from inside. I actually got paid.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

CY: Well, they did all come out. Some less easy.

CY: I nearly did that, sink the old nails in. But, it worked out okay.

CY: Could have done that. The weather strip came with some galvanized roofing nails, so I used em.

CY: Sure, just need to set up the compressor, wait for it to come up to pressure, and drag the hose around. Uh, quick....

CY: Might try center, on the next one. The garage door du jour is 10 feet, and I had 16 foot of weather strip. Ended up with some left over, which I saved for another job. Mild tension seemed to help, the weather strip ended up nicely on, and no obvious sags or droops.

CY: Thanks for the luck. I needed it! And the job went reasonably well.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I found that after every nail, I let my arms hang down and tried to relax. That helped. Also bending over to pick nails off the ground was good, bent my back the othe way. Aleve is also helpful for bad back.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Congratulations, I'm glad it went well for you.

I hear ya about the Aleve, miracle drug at my age. :)

Anthony Watson

HerHusband