Garage door bottom weather strip

Page 1 of 2
I've been asked to replace garage door lower gasket, for a friend. Wooden garage door. Looks like the existing rubber is held on with about 50 roofing nails.
Any hints or ideas to get the job done? I suspect pulling the nails will be a LOT of work. Hammering upwards is a LOT of work also.
I'm going to bring two or three versions of hammer, and a pair of country western fence pliers (you know the one with the dog that died?).
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Pulling the nails doesn't seem like that much work. Maybe I am not picturing your situation correctly. Just open the door so you can easily see the nails and not have to hammer "up". Usually can get to at least a 45 degree angle if not closer to horizontal. (The door can almost always go horizontal, but the jam will be in the way.)
On 7/18/2015 6:02 PM, Pat wrote:

CY: There are about 50 of them, I did a quick estimate.
Maybe I am not

CY: Opening the door so I can see them, puts all the nails between 5 adn 6 feet from the ground. Since the nails are on the bottom edge of the door, any option is nailing UP. Except to roll the garage door all the way up. At which point the nails can be nailed like a wall, but they will all be 7 feet from the ground.
Usually can get to

CY: And that will be about 7 feet off the ground.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Do you have access to a scaffold?
Or even a step ladder???
It's not rocket science
On 7/18/2015 10:32 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Have you ever put in 50 nails, at face level? That's pretty tiring work for an old guy who doesn't do it very often.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I can relate, things are a lot harder to do in my 50's than they were when I was in my 30's.
Just give yourself plenty of time and take lots of breaks. Divide a big job into a series of smaller jobs and anything is possible. Snacks and refreshments help too. :)
On 7/19/2015 12:42 PM, HerHusband wrote:

I found that after every nail, I let my arms hang down and tried to relax. That helped. Also bending over to pick nails off the ground was good, bent my back the othe way. Aleve is also helpful for bad back.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Congratulations, I'm glad it went well for you.
I hear ya about the Aleve, miracle drug at my age. :)

Can you rent or borrow a pneumatic roofing nail gun?
Fred
On 7/18/2015 6:20 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:

I do know a guy who has a nail gun. Wonder if it's worth the bother. And that still means holding the nail gun 5 to 7 feet off the ground.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Your friend's nailgun can't shoot UP?
On 7/18/2015 10:32 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Have you put in 50 nails, at face level? That's pretty tiring for an old guy who doesn't do that kind of work.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 19:11:24 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Use pan-head screws and a power screwdriver. We all know you have no problem screwing up - - - -
On 7/18/2015 4:36 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

If you remove the rollers from the bottom panel, you should be able to flip the bottom panel up.
Obviously the rest of the door should be secured to keep it from moving.
On 7/18/2015 7:54 PM, Auric Goldfinger wrote:

Now, that is interesting idea. I didn't glance at the rollers, to see how they are secured. Most likely ancient slotted screws.
You got me thinking.... wonder if that's practical?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Lift the door and secure it in place with vice grips, bar clamp, or similar.
If you have difficulty reaching the bottom of the door, use a small step stool, or rig up a simple scaffold with a board and some blocks to set it on.
It should be fairly easy (though monotonous) to remove the roofing nails with a hammer and a small prybar (flat bar, not a wrecking style crowbar).
I'm pretty sure I've seen replacement garage door gaskets in the local home centers.
You could use something like blue painters tape to temporarily hold the gasket in place on the bottom of the door while you nail it on.
If you have difficulty nailing overhead, buy or rent an air powered roofing nailer. You can easily drive hundreds of nails overhead with a pneumatic nailer. Alternatively, you could use screws and a cordless drill to attach the gasket.
Good luck!
On 7/19/2015 1:12 AM, HerHusband wrote:

My big concerns, one is if the nails are rusted in place. Might end up doing a lot of work to get them out, or just pound em in flush.
I doubt the screws have wide enough heads.
50 nails out and 50 in, at face level is going to be a LOT of work.
Plans are to start at one end, and then pull (tension) the weatherstrip a bit, and put in one nail every foot or so. Go back and put in the remaining nails, later. When the weatherstrip is properly in place.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/19/2015 8:33 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

HerHusband is on the right track. You don't need/want to tension anything other than getting it to lay flat. If you have a helper have them hold one end up to allow you to nail one end in place and then just keep smoothing it down as you go from one end to the other nailing it in place.
Rusted or not, the nails will not be as difficult to remove as you think. They are, after all, embedded in wood which means there's no rust bond between the wood and the nails. Unless the door is made of iron wood<g>

Well, that's reassuring. Hope the job goes well, as you predict. I'll write back, and let you all know.
--
.
Christopher A. Young