Garage Ceiling

I have a detached garage (26' x 21') with what looks like 2 x 12 joists running from front to back with a spacing of 48" on center. I'd like to put in a ceiling to brighten up the garage, so I can work in it, with as little cost as possible. I'll be staying this house for a several years so I want it done to last.
Here are the options I've been considering.
1) thin 1/4" sheetrock with 2x4 furring strips between the joists. - worried thin sheetrock will sag - worried weight of sheetrock and furring will cause the joists to sag in the middle of the run
2) suspended ceiling with 2' x 4' fiberglass tile. - more expensive - low cost tile sensitive to humidity (I live in Houston where 95% humidity is an average day)
Any suggestions on how to get this done?
Do you have lower cost places to order stuff than Lowes or Home Depot?
thanks dm*cou-sin @hotmail.com
remove asterisk and - to reply
[...]
Hi,
I would add additional bracing and go drywall. Drop ceilings are a mother to install.
candice

Drop ceilings are a mother to install?? I find them very easy, much easier than finishing a drywall ceiling. Greg
on center to nail the dray wall. 1 by 2 would work. You should nail dry wall no greater than 24 on center 48 and your asking for trouble.
Mook:
MJ> I have a detached garage (26' x 21') with what looks like 2 x 12 joists MJ> running from front to back with a spacing of 48" on center. I'd like to puMJ> in a ceiling to brighten up the garage, so I can work in it, with as little MJ> cost as possible. I'll be staying this house for a several years so I want MJ> it done to last. MJ> MJ> Here are the options I've been considering. MJ> MJ> 1) thin 1/4" sheetrock with 2x4 furring strips between the joists. MJ> - worried thin sheetrock will sag MJ> - worried weight of sheetrock and furring will cause the joists to saMJ> in the middle of the run
No personal experience with what you are going to do but some ideas. ..Have seen a "finished" basement where someone tried to use panelling for the ceiling (standard 16" centers) -- Sag City! Not sure how well the paneling was nailed but looked horrible. I would think you would have a similar sag problem, especially with the humidity. Seems thicker sheetrock would be the solution. Might be able to use 1x3's instead of the 2x4's also.
MJ> Do you have lower cost places to order stuff than Lowes or Home Depot?
Check around and wait for sales. Locally have Menards and Lowe's (Home Depot just opened yesterday). Recall seeing Menard's ad having 2x4s, etc., on sale every so often. The construction folks buy from other sources but they're also repeat customers and buy in bulk.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Definition: Tablet -- A small table.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971