Garage Attic

We would like to create an attic space in our garage for storing light weight items. The roof trusses are 26' long and the bottom 2 x 4 (the long one) is pieced in the middle. Would it be necessary to beef this 2 x 4 up by putting another one across this joint before putting a floor on top of it--1/2" plywood or 1/2" stranboard. Thank you for your help. You can email us as snipped-for-privacy@highstream.net
ARGH!
There's cancer in your attic! Be careful!
- Effi
probably not. the plywood will stiffen up the trusses. Just do not exceed the loading for the truss. I store knocked down boxes in my attic. probable load for the boxes, 40 pounds. Remember anything that goes up there will probably be in a very hot environment for your summer
Thats why we keep grandma in our attic.

Don't even THINK about starting that up again, KatZ.
Climb up... Bounce around... Are my WWII artillary shells safe up here? Is my packing peanut collection safe up here? Is the car parked below all this stuff worth more than the stuff? Is my insurance up to date? "Light Weight" has allot of different meanings out here. What are you comfortable with, & would a couple bucks of re-enforcement ease your worries? If you were my neighbor, I'd stroll over w/ tools & refreshments, but unfortunately I can't see the situation from here.
gool luck G.O Jones st.paul,mn.

AKManty wrote:

Depends, of course, on what you mean by "light"...the bottom chord isn't designed (or intended) to support vertical loading. Safe is always better than sorry, so be sure to use common sense in whatever you do.