Garage and cold air seeping in.

The garage is adjacent to a bonus room where we usually watch tv. As it has gotten colder I have noticed around the walls/floorboard near the garage it has a slight draft. So I went to the garage and to the pics available here

->

This is not spam or anything, there are legit pics of my garage there. My question is how can I kill this draft? It seems it is coming through the wood right above the concrete, because when you go in the garage there is a small step down (floor is level to the wood board showing I think).

Reply to
Arinté

Should have been sealed on the inside by the insulation crew, but in lieu of that, seal it on the outside. If you use expanding foam, then I would cover it with some trim. (Expanding foam does not like to be left exposed.) If you seal it with a caulk, you can just leave it as is.

In addition, you may want to seal your outlets on the interior of that wall.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Do you have an active link we could click on?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

on 12/18/2007 1:55 PM Arinté said the following:

Looks like some water leakage there too. Don't know where that can be coming from. How about some caulk along the cracks for the draft?

Reply to
willshak

Right. I'd be more concerned about structural damage and mold growth than it being a bit drafty.

Open up the garage wall, find out where the water is getting in, stop it, replace the drywall, repair/upgrade insulation, caulk/foam any gaps, new drywall, paint. Intersperse beers throughout the process to keep your spirits up.

RicodJour

Caulk the hell out of it, put vapor barrier over the wood area extended up and down at least six inches and then put a 12" - 24" wide layer of drywall on top of everything. Then caulk the top and bottom edges of the drywall.

This is just off the top of my head. Feel free to improvise.

Reply to
John Grabowski

The dark spots on the wall is water damage that must be fixed

Reply to
ransley