Gap in wood flooring

Hi, I'm installing real wood floor in my bedroom. I know I should leave a gap on all sides in case of wood expansion, but if I don't leave the gap on one (just one!) of the sides the boards just fit perfectly without the need of cutting them. Is it really bad not to leave a gap on one side? Any advice very welcome? Thank you!

Reply to
Geppo

Now here its humid out and inside, so wood laid open for a few weeks has or will expand, its 65% inside here now, it will be 70-75% humidity soon. If installed when humid after its aclimitised it should not expand more, but who knows. Someone put in a parket floor in winter in my home, when summer came it bowed up in a bulge 1.5" it was real bad, you were walking on crap. All sides is recommended, do all sides to be safe.

Reply to
ransley

First, yes, it is.

The instructions that came with the flooring should illustrate how much is needed all around the room.

Other details which would be helpful would be whether there's already base molding down, or if you're putting some down, or if you're covering the gap with base shoe or 1/4 round, type of flooring, what kind of wood, width of planks, etc.....

jc

Reply to
Joe

If you are putting down a wood floor, you have to cut wood. Your bedroom can't be big enough to make omitting the gap on one side matter unless there is something that you haven't mentioned.

There should be a gap all around. Check out the NOFMA site for explicit instructions.

RicodJour

Geppo wrote in news:c6dcf930-06e1-4cc9-95e9- snipped-for-privacy@g19g2000vbi.googlegroups.com:

If you don't follow the mfgrs installation instructions then don't expect the results mfgr touts.

...and

if anything, related or not, goes wrong with the floor in the future and you wish to make a warranty claim, it will be blamed on improper installation.

Reply to
Red Green