Gap in sidewalk

Page 1 of 2
I have a gap in the side walk in front of my condo and I want to know the best way to fix it. you can see where the previous owner had used some type of calking material, but now the gap has opened up to almost 2".
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/sidwelle/Walk_03_zpsab322e13.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/sidwelle/Walk_01_zpsad63b0a3.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/sidwelle/Walk_02_zps7b693766.jpg
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
On 11/17/2014 09:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Just remove the old caulk and re-caulk
The only way to get the sidewalk back up to where it originally was would be to mud-jack ...but it does not look low enough for that to be necessary.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hmmm, Isn't it the job of condo board?
On Monday, November 17, 2014 10:30:54 PM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. That indeed would seem to be the case.
I also agree with Phil, the best solution is to re-caulk it. There is caulk that is made for concrete, concrete colored, etc. The underlying problem is likely an insufficient stabilized base for the sidewalk that is allowing it to settle. If any water makes it's way to that area, eg from gutters, improper grading, etc, that could be a contributing factor.
On 11/18/2014 06:28 AM, trader_4 wrote:
<snip>

Good point. With a condo I don't think one can just go ahead and do any repair work without some type of approval.
There is nothing in my yard that would get an approval!
On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 7:19:56 AM UTC-6, philo  wrote:

case.

Time: 20 years The concrete moved away from the step, not sunken below. My intention is to fill the gap, not raise or move the concrete. yes there is a water problem where the gutter just empties onto the sidewalk a few fe et back. I think you are correct, there is probably not a proper base or fo oter under the walk.
Water problem: You can't see from the picture, but one corner of the step h as already dropped about an inch. you can see where the brick has already s tarted to buckle slightly on the front of the bldg.
If I fill the gap and stop the erosion I could probably prevent a costly r epair and the unsightly gap.
I was told years ago that the association could force me to pay for the rep air, so I was hesitant to bring it to there attention.
Thanks.

The purpose of a condo association is to do all outside work. That's why there are condo fees. Maybe if you do something when it is their responsibility and something goes wrong they could charge you.
On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:04:39 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

Agree. The question is who told him that and based on what? The condo documents would spell out who's responsible for what, but it would be unusual for a unit owner to be responsible for the sidewalk.
This kind of small thing, no one is probably going to care if he just fixes it himself. On the other hand, when you have 200 units and everyone starts doing that, most of them not knowing what they are doing, you can imagine the problems that result.
I was president of a condo association years ago. While most folks were reasonable, some were idiots. We had a couple that decided to find and re-plant a bunch of crap, wild, volunteer trees into the lawn in front of their unit. You can imagine what that would look like when the rest of the place has a uniform landscape scheme. I had management send them a letter, not telling them to remove them, just not to continue planting more. They went ballistic.
On 11/18/2014 07:52 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
<snip>

If the condo board is not really aware of the problem, you could probably just fix it yourself and be done with it.
As long as you remove the old caulk and put in something waterproof and flexible...with a reasonable color match you should be OK.
I'm adding this link just as an example of what product to use
https://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID1&SubcatID=6

What state do you live in? You must have condo documents, bylaws, etc. which spell out precisely what you are responsible for maintaining and what the condo assn. is.....our condo in Florida was ours up to the inside unfinished drywall and patios. All else was the assn.'s. That said, the assn. doesn't necessarily maintain all that they are supposed to, and might easily pass a special assessment for non-routine stuff if they don't have the money in reserves. SO GLAD I no longer live there!!
On 11/17/2014 09:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Just remove the old caulk and re-caulk
The only way to get the sidewalk back up to where it originally was would be to mud-jack ...but it does not look low enough for that to be necessary.

ARDEX?
On Monday, November 17, 2014 10:00:18 PM UTC-6, Pico Rico wrote:

Can you be more specific or give an example ?
Do you want to raise up the sidewalk to its previous level, or just leave t he current sidewalk alone and fill the gap between the sidewalk and the sta irs? What is going to keep the sidewalk from moving even further away from the stairs? How long did it take for the current gap to develope, one yea r five years???
On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 20:45:30 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

DAGS!
On 11/17/2014 10:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Is this a condo as in part of a condo association? Don't they take care of outside stuff?
Anyway, it looks like more than just a gap. The walk is settling and probably needs major work to rectify. I see a couple of inches gap t hat can be filled with a mortar mix, but it also seems to be an inch or so lower. That is a trip hazard.
Filling is probably a temporary fix as the walk settles more or as the seasons pass. It probably should be torn out and replaced ona good solid base.
On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 11:15:17 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

When I first looked at the pics, especially the first one, that's what I thought too. But from his description and looking closer, I think what you have is a landing and a sidewalk that meets it. They are not supposed to be at the same level. At first, I thought they were only an inch or two different in height. But I think they are actually a good and safe distance apart, ie normal. I think he's problem is just a ~1/2" gap horizontally where they meet.
In typed:

Good photos. Thanks. It looks to me like it is really a vertical gap only -- meaning that the sidewalk dropped down over time and that caused the gap.
Given what you wrote, if it were me I would just buy a small bag of concrete, scrape out the old caulk, dig out a little behind the sidewalk below the sidewalk surface level, mix up the concrete, and use it to fill in the gap. When you smooth it off, trowel it so it forms a continuation downward of the vertical front side of the concrete porch. And, if needed, trowel along the surface of the sidewalk so the new concrete looks correct. It should be pretty quick and easy to do.
You could also probably use mortar mix instead of concrete if you wanted to do that. The gap size is such that either would probably work fine for what you want to achieve. Look and see what they have at Home Depot or Lowes etc. and pick one. You probably won't need much, and personally I don't like lugging around big bags of concrete or mortar. So, even though it would cost more, you could always buy a couple of small 10-pound bags of the stuff. One bag may do it and you can return the second bag if it is unopened and you don't need it.
I think any of the regular concrete or mortar mixes will fairly closely match the color of what is there now. I would avoid any of those special concrete crack repair mixes etc. because they are often a darker gray color that won't look right, plus you don't need that.
Good luck.
Let us know how it turns out.
P.S. Since the job is so easy, I am with you and I would just skip even contacting the condo association. I would just do the fix and forget about it.
On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 12:54:11 PM UTC-5, TomR wrote:

For gaps that size, especially in differing structures, mortar rarely is the best choice. Something flexible, like caulk designed for concrete is more likely to last.
typed:

I couldn't quite tell for sure from the photos, but it looks to me that the gap is not between the sidewalk and the porch. To me, it looks like what happened is that the sidewalk just dropped down, but it is otherwise in the same position relative to the porch that it always was, except that its dropped down a couple of inches. I think that the exposed "gap" that we see, which is really just the space UNDER the porch -- not a horizontal gap between the porch and the sidewalk.
If that is the case, then to eliminate the visible "gap", I think that all that is needed is to fill in under the porch which, in effect would just hide the vertical gap. In fact, although I didn't mention it before, I would probably drop a thin barrier (maybe even just a thin piece cardboard like a pizza box) down to cover the end of the sidewalk. Then, I would put the concrete or mortar under the porch to fill the gap, and the concrete or mortar would adhere to and become a part of the bottom of the existing concrete porch, but it would not bond with the sidewalk due to the barrier. That way, there wouldn't be any expansion or contraction issues to worry about.