Game: Match states on a blank map

Page 1 of 2
I only tried it once. Nothing to brag about, but I think I would fair at least average. http://flowingdata.com/2012/10/01/match-states-on-a-blank-map /
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 15:59:31 -0400, Metspitzer

Cool game I got 48 out of 50 right with an average error of 3 miles.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Oct 1, 3:42 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

THis is a good thing to get for geography students
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You creaked by me, with 48/50 and an average of 5 miles. We had a wooden puzzle of the US when I was a kid, but that was a long time ago. I'm surprised I did as well as I did. If it was one state at a time on a blank slate, I don't think I'd do well at all. And putting countries on a globe? Forget about it.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I didn't know where Rhode island was.
Add pictures here
βœ–
harry wrote:

Nobody does.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I do. It's an island off of South Carolina.
Add pictures here
βœ–
harry wrote the following on 10/2/2012 2:38 AM (ET):

It's where Peter Griffin and his family live. Quahog, RI, I believe.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Add pictures here
βœ–

A lot depends on which state you draw first. Once you get rolling it is pretty easy but trying to get Tennessee or Colorado exactly in the right place on a blank map isn't easy. There seems to be a little wiggle room but at about 25-30 miles off, they ding you.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 10/3/2012 1:01 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

I didn't try it but once so don't know but I presume the order is randomized each time...I got CO as first but then most had some clue to aid afterwards and very few were so blind thereafter...
If the logic were a little more clever in selecting the order to maximize the number that have to be placed w/o another reference I suspect the scores could be made much higher on average error/lower on percentages located "exactly"... :)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Oct 1, 9:42 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

How would you be with a map of Africa?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Here's a really good one: <http://mistupid.com/geography/knowyourworld.htm?de91=1e You have to identify CITIES around the world!
Then there's the Middle East, which includes part of Africa: <http://www.rethinkingschools.org/just_fun/games/mapgame2.shtml This one is a lot tougher than it looks. Unfortunately, you're not scored on your performance.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
βœ–
harry wrote the following on 10/2/2012 2:36 AM (ET):

In what year or month?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Good one.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I didn't figure out how to make the game work.
Think you mean "fare well", or "fare average". Yep, Smitty, we're all iliderat.
I only tried it once. Nothing to brag about, but I think I would fair at least average. http://flowingdata.com/2012/10/01/match-states-on-a-blank-map /
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ok. So I may not know the difference between fare and fair, but I did manage to play the game. :)
For some reason, the link I provided was not the direct link to the page.
Try this one: http://jimspages.com/States.htm
On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 17:53:08 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Add pictures here
βœ–
Yes, in that regards, you did fair better than I did.
And the two words sound the same, so it's an eazie misteak.

βœ–
BTW. For younger people, I wish the puzzle had the option of going thru the pieces to get to the ones you know before having to place the ones you are less sure of.
On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 18:15:38 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Add pictures here
βœ–

I got 94% correct, average error 6 miles, 329 seconds. My two big mistakes were West Virginia (84 miles off) and Oklahoma (52 miles off).
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
βœ–