Galvanized steel pipes for water supply

I just had a new house built, and I discovered they used galvanized steel pipes for the water supply from our well to the pressure tank and water heater (about 100-150 feet away). Also the well casing and pipes inside the well are also galvanized.

I was having some more pipe installed for a gravity tank, and they said galvanized was the best for this, so they began installing more galvanized pipe again. When I began to research it, I discovered many reports of problems with galvanized pipes rusting.

For the new piping, I had them remove what they'd done and they'll replace it with pvc. But the existing supply line will be difficult to replace without digging up portions of 2 retaining walls and a driveway, and the front yard.

Were the builders complete idiots? Or is it really ok to still use galvanized pipes for this sort of work? If it's not, why are galvanized pipes still manufactured?

Reply to
frustrated

Why aren't you archiving? Tom

Reply to
tom

Galv pipes have been used for a very long time and always worked just fine. Eventually they clog up if the water is the type to form deposits of minerals. But most last 35 or more years, and they are very durable, unlike plastics. I think YOU are the idiot. The galv will likely outlast the plastics.

Depends on your definition of fine. Steel pipe does deteriorate over time, is more expensive and harder and more labor intensive to work with. For an application like running pipe from a well to a house, I wouldn't call steel pipe fine compared to plastic, which is cheaper, easier to work with, and won't corrode away in 35 years.

Eventually they clog up if the water is the type to form

Why exactly is plastic not durable for this application? It's widely used with no problems. Even municipal water systems which need very long life and durability use it to run water underground into homes. Are they idiots too? And does calling someone who asked a legitimate question an idiot make you feel superior for a few hours or does it only last minutes?

Reply to
trader4

is it because of your local soil conditions?

Reply to
buffalobill

Plastic is far better, but can crack on rare occasions.

how long does the original poster plan on living in home?

If its less than 30 years I wouldnt worry about it.

IMHO for lines in challanging locations like under walls and such the line should be a 4 inch schedule 40 PVC line as a outer shell with the actual working line inside the outer pvc line.

that way when the working line needs replaced it can be snaked thru the outer one minimizing digging. costs more but saves tons of work

Reply to
hallerb

frustrated - view profile Date: Wed, Mar 1 2006 9:36 pm Email: frustrated Groups: alt.home.repair Not yet ratedRating: show options

Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived. This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Mar 8, 9:36 pm). Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived. This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Mar 8, 9:36 pm).

[...]

I hope I can live in the house for 50 years or so, if I'm lucky. After that my children/grandchildren can have it.

The line from the municipal water supply will be upvc to the gravity tank, and the line from the well to the pressure tank is galvanized steel. We'll see which one lasts longer. Unfortunatley the line from the well will be harder to replace if/when it goes bad.

I'm running an extra "standby" upvc line part of the way, since the area is dug up for the new line I'm running, anyway, but that's only half the way to the well.

My initial reason for concern about the galvanized pipe came about because I saw the pipe after less than 1 year when we dug up the area around part of it, and it has already started rusting on the exterior.

Reply to
frustrated

Because I value my privacy, and I don't like google archiving my posts forever and eternity. Thanks so much for reposting my message under your own ID 3 times.

Reply to
frustrated

the standard opinion with builders in my area is to use plastic whenever you can.it doesnt rust. my gas line to my house was steel and it went bad last week,rusted thru, but lasted 45 years. lucas

ds549