Galloping Tecumseh

The little 3.5 HP Tecumseh flat head (model WTPXS) on my pressure washer has started to gallop (rhythmically dropping RPM then increasing RPM) when not under load. It runs fine, but I find the galloping annoying.
I imagine it may be a matter of adjusting the governor springs, or maybe clearing a partially clogged jet.
Any experience with correcting a galloping flat head? thank you in advance!
doug

Is there a mixture adjustment?
Bob

Doug,
It's not your Tecumseh! It is a typical power washer trait. I have a 6.5 HP Honda that "throbs" like that the same way.....then when you start washing or just pull the trigger on the wand the engine settles down and runs fine. What is going on is the pump is going in and out of pressure as is awaiting for you to start washing... the pump drags the motor down everytime it pressures up and then lets go...then pressures up again and drags the motor down... My advice is to leave well enough alone...it's typical of gas powered pressure washers.... Hope that was of some help and I was able to explain well enough... Jimi

I guess mine is broken because it doesn't do it. And all the ones I used and rented prior to purchasing one must have been broken as well.
Do I bring it in and tell them there's something wrong with it because it doesn't sound like shit when it is running?
old dirtbeard wrote:

I'd make sure all airflow paths are clear and that all linkages are free to move. The big 'paddle' that sits in the airflow from the flywheel-fan should be sprung to one side.
These things can be tough to adjust. Maybe when new, there was just a hint of drag in the pivots that provided a usefull amount of damping in the system.
Dave
But what caused it to get out of adjustment in the first place?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

old dirtbeard wrote:

A dirty air filter can cause galloping also. Dirty can be defined as clogged by breathing in a lot of water mist through a paper air filter. Worth checking.
Bob