Galley Kitchen Measurement Question

Hello,

For the sake of workability what should be the perfect measurement, between the sink-area, countertop edge, and the opposite (stove-area), countertop edge? I once had a galley kitchen and measured it, but I think it was 3and =BD feet or 4. It was close; eliminated a lot of dripping from sink to stove and back, and it may have been too close, but I donot remember as it was or wasnot, so I guess it was ok, or why we ate out a lot.

Truly

Trutlh will set you free, according to Jesus in John 8:32

Reply to
harry

I would think if the stove is opposite the sink, you should be more concerned about the oven door being opened and not intefering with any objects or people moving about. If it was 4 feet like you say, then with the oven door open that would leave you with 2 feet space to get by.

Reply to
Mikepier

Just imagine all drawers open, the oven door open, refrigerator door open, etc. and see if you still have room to move.

Reply to
mike

Hello,

The oven was a wall/built-in, eye-level oven, set off to the side, which opened out in front of one of the doorways, and not across from the sink. The stove was a countertop, positoned beside the oven. The refrigerator opening was no issue that i can remember. . . so are we saying 4 ft isnot a perfect measurement? The lining up of the galley kitchen was perfect, however i donot really remember the measurement between the two counters; i only have a guesstiment. Do you know what would be the perfect measurement between the two sides?

Reply to
harry

IME 42" is just about right *IF* there is only one person working in the kitchen at the same time. Four feet is fine for one person but much more than that and you are wasting space and creating unnecessary steps; three feet is getting tight.

For other than galley kitchens, 42" is fine for more than one person as long as they are working in different areas.

Reply to
dadiOH

I'm in the process of redoing an old kitchen was 11 x 8 and is now 11 x 14.

The 11 ft dimension is wall to wall, sink to stove direction. The dimension from sink counter edge to stove face is about

80" .....which is WAY too much but not really enough for an intermediate island. :(

So I'm stuck with those "extra steps" that DadiOH mentions..... and those extra steps REALLY add up and so do the "drips".

I would totally concur with his assessment....... 36" too tight, 48" ok, 42" just about right.

I would suggest thinking about how the kitchen is going to be used. One or two person operation?

Are the stove and sink exactly opposite each other? Will two people be using them at the same time and wind up exactly "back to back"? Is there going to be a small secondary prep area out of the stove to sink traffic pattern?

Yeah, doors open can create choke points but how often is each door opened?

fridge...maybe a lot, cabinets too oven...not so much.

People, standing and working or standing & "visiting" can take up a lot of space.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

As far as a concrete number, around 60 inches would be my preference.

Reply to
mike

Hello,

That 42 inches looks massive to me, but i guess that is that. However the kitchen i have now plus the other kitchen both have/had two end openings. The 42 inches seerms like a lot more than i had in the Florida kitchen, however iam probably wrong, so am going to bank on your 42", since iwill be having a regulation stove this time. It certainly, from what i invision, can leave in two people, espcially with the two openings at either end in case of having to run for cover.

Thank you.

Reply to
harry

Keep in mind that modern drawers can open all the way. So if you have one person unloading silverware from the dishwasher into an open drawer, you might hit them with the drawer on the other side if your galley alley is too narrow.

Reply to
mike

Hello,

My galley kitchen in Florida had no drawers on the stove/oven/frig side, but more than ample storage of cavernous cabinets underneath. The sink side was stacked with more-than-needed drawers, plus more topside cabinets. There were even topside cabinets on the stove side. At the moment I remember absolutely no inconveniences, and there was practically no floor space to mop and wax. The kitchen was as intricate as a diamond. Saint Augustine is a tourist/boating town, so maybe the kitchen was built by a nautical Co. Iam now talking myself into rethinking the 42 inches?- not that that will help get a dishwasher in there. Every which way I spun or stepped, my finger tips where on something and/or anything I needed, in the Florida kitchen and why iam now sold on the galley kitchen.

I had a galley kitchen I designed, with some help, that was the same way (fingertip perfect), and the width between the sink side to the bar side was a little more than the width of the Flair stove. I donot know the width of the Flair stove. I think it was made by Frigidaire. Does anyone know the width of the Flair stove?

Reply to
harry

For the sake of workability what should be the perfect measurement, between the sink-area, countertop edge, and the opposite (stove-area), countertop edge? I once had a galley kitchen and measured it, but I think it was 3and ½ feet or 4. It was close; eliminated a lot of dripping from sink to stove and back, and it may have been too close, but I donot remember as it was or wasnot, so I guess it was ok, or why we ate out a lot.

Truly

Trutlh will set you free, according to Jesus in John 8:32

------------ reply separator ---------------- since I have no <

My personal preference would be 4 feet, no more than 5 in case someone else is in the kitchen working.

If I read this site correctly:

3 foot would be the legal minimum and if you consider open drawers or other obstructions, 4 foot sounds good.

I have one house that is about 40" and no way would I want it smaller.

Reply to
Colbyt