GAF Liberty roofing -- walkable?

I'm having a low-pitch roof added on a porch addition. The roof isn't technically a deck, but it will get some foot traffic. Roofer is suggesting GAF Liberty roofing system, two-ply self-adhesive SBR roofing.

I don't have any personal experience with current cold-applied roofing systems, but I've had some bad experience with older ones.

Is the GAF Liberty top ply going to hold up to barefoot walking?

Is it going to get gummy in hot weather?

Are the granules going to come off if we walk on it in hot weather?

Should I get walking pads for the higher-traffic areas?

Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks for any input!

Reply to
<josh

Yes, you should build a pathway. Roofing shingles are not made to be walked on as a matter of normal practice. Don&#39;t expect good durability. Yes, the granules may come off, yes, it may get soft in the hot sun, yes, it will start to leak years earlier than a normal roof.

IMO, you need a better design.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That&#39;s why we aren&#39;t using shingles, it&#39;s a three-layer SBR membrane roofing system.

But it&#39;s not a system I&#39;m familiar with, thus the questions.

Reply to
<josh

No, it is not a shingle, but made in a similar manner on top. I had that put on one of our warehouse roofs for the same reason you are using it, shallow pitch. We don&#39;t walk on it though, as it was not intended for that use. Short term you may get away with it, but long term, it is not a good idea.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not familiar with the product you reference, but I do know that for an extra fee, they can make membrane roofs walkable. I think it is a matter of putting a hard layer over any foam insulation (if yours includes that), and using a different membrane where foot traffic is expected. Another alternative is to lay out some of those thick open-cell mats like used in restaraunt kitchens. That will reduce the abrasion from boots and such. Look for the ones with the bumps on the bottom, to let water flow under them.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers