Gable Roof Addition - Roofing Question

My garage opens to the west with a gable roof, ridge running north-south. I'm going to build a workshop attached to the back of the garage (east side), also with a gable roof, ridge running perpendicular to the garage ridge (workshop ridge running east-west). The two roofs will be attached.
How do I shingle the intersection? If it were new construction, no problem, but I'm sure there's an easier way than ripping off all the shingles on the east side of the garage roof, buildng the new roof, then reshingling the augmented roofline. How do you keep existing shingle removal to a minimum?
<< I'm sure there's an easier way than ripping off all the shingles on the east side of the garage roof, buildng the new roof, then reshingling the augmented roofline. >>
How can you be sure? Better check in with your local building inspection department. Considering the cost of your project, you will probably have to pull a permit, so take advantage of all the expertise that you can. A good building inspector can set you right and even save you a lot of grief resulting from unintended errors. Good luck.
Joe
What I would do is do this work when the shingles are still a little bit cool and the tar is hard. Figure out where the new roof line will be, drop down a chalk line and then cut through the shingles at that line, remove the shingles you don't need, then use a trowel or flat shovel and work the old shingles loose. Now finish it as if it was a new roof.
On 12 Feb 2004 05:39:17 -0800, the snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net (Greg Carter) wrote:

Well, it is going to really be ugly, what with the old and new shingles not matching, but it could be done. You just layer the underlayment and shingles so that water doesn't get under the shingles.
How about a complete roof job with new 40 yr shingles that will lower your insurance premium? PJ