Gable RakeBoard "Over" Siding or "Beside"????

I'm re-siding my home in hardiplank and am going to us a 1x6 rakeboard under the Gables. Most of the homes I've seen have the siding installed first and then a thin rake board applied over top... with lap siding this creats a small triangular void that would seem to be a haven for insects..
Does anyone every install the Rake board first and use a 3/4 or 1" stock and then "kill" the siding into the rake board, similar to how you tie the siding into corner boards?
Thanks,
bradesp
Absolutely. Putting the rake board over the siding is just lazy.

I'm sorry I can't help you, but maybe someone else can help both of us. I just bought a new townhome and the HOA paperwork says we need to paint the RAKEBOARD.
What the heck is a rakeboard? Is it a pain to paint a rakeboard?
Thanks, Drew
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Nordic4Sale) wrote in message

it can be done either way. I prefer to install a 1x2 under the rake board (2" up) then butt (kill) the siding to the 1x2 and place the rake board over the siding. No voids for insects this way and water will run over the siding (instead of into the rake board / channel joint)
think like a rain drop! everything above should overlap (like steps) guaranteed not to leak.
C.A.
A rake board is simply the board that is applied to the wall and runs along the underside of the gable over hang... it's similar to a Frieze Board that runs along the top of a side wave with an eave overhang... just a different name because it follows the "rake" of the gable wall.
bradesp