G clamp or C clamp?

Page 6 of 8

Is a jointer not someone who prepares joints to smoke?
--
The reason your print job died unexpectedly is because we lost coolant to the firewall and the ether in the net blew up.

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 12:50:21 PM UTC-4, James Wilkinson wrote:

That would be a "roller".
It could also be a student, a doctor, a lawyer, a construction worker, a football player, a truck driver, a cop, a priest, an actuary, a biologist, a draftsman, an innkeeper, a plasterer, a tumbler, a yodeler, a novelist...
On 07/14/2016 09:35 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
[snip]

I have a dictionary from 1934, that defines a "computer" as a person.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

That use goes back a long way.
OED:
computer, n.
1. A person who makes calculations or computations; a calculator, a reckoner; spec. a person employed to make calculations in an observatory, in surveying, etc. Now chiefly hist.
1613 ‘R. B.’ Yong Mans Gleanings 1, I haue read the truest computer of Times, and the best Arithmetician that euer breathed, and he reduceth thy dayes into a short number. 1646 Sir T. Browne Pseudodoxia Epidemica vi. vi. 289 The Calenders of these computers . 1704 Swift Tale of Tub vii. 140 A very skillful Computer, who hath given a full Demonstration of it from Rules of Arithmetick. 1855 D. Brewster Mem. Life I. Newton (new ed.) II. xviii. 162 To pay the expenses of a computer for reducing his observations. 1893 Publ. Amer. Econ. Assoc. 8 23 Some curious computer makes out the cost of electing a President for these United States to be four hundred millions of dollars. <snip>
Before the elctronic computer came along there were mechanical "computers".
Electronic computers came into use during WWII.
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
On 7/14/2016 3:22 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Well, it was a job performed by people gathering and manipulating numbers. The electronic version today does nothing that people cannot do manually, albeit a bit slower.
On 7/14/2016 10:35 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

There is a kind of tool called a jointer, which is like a planer; and there is a kind of tool called a joiner, aka a biscuit joiner, which is used to cut high precision slots for a "biscuit join".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNd7I4OiOf8

--
Tak
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 07:16:44 -0700, Charles Bishop

Actually nit is called a "jointer" - short for "jointer plane"

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Sorry, I did know that, and left out the "t".
--
charles, maybe it's my pronunciation

Clare will spank you in due course.

It's entirely possible I'm not familiar with the career path that would cause someone to use that expression.

I've never seen Joinery for Purpose.
--
History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god. -- Giulian Buzila

On 07/13/2016 7:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Was (I presume still is) the sign in window in cabinet shop in Chatham...

On 7/13/2016 9:37 PM, dpb wrote:

Quaint name, but I wonder how many non-woodworkers know what it means.
On 07/13/2016 8:49 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Well, I would presume quite a few "over there" or it'd been pretty ineffective signage... :)

On 07/13/2016 11:34 PM, dpb wrote:

I always wanted to stop in and chat but were working trips and were always out at the plant before they were open and by time were back wasn't that high on my list of priorities of the day any longer... :)

Same useage as here

I worked with a slew of Limeys in Zambia - several were from Liverpool, one was actually a Scott - and another was a Cockney. And then there was an Orangeman as well. half of them used "cramp" instead of "clamp" for holding something in place with clamps or straps. And the Orangeman wouldn't have known a clamp if it was tightened on his --- ear.

Stop replying to me if you've killfiled me.

The Irish are all stupid. I understand there's a lot of Irish blood in the USA....
--
A Woman's Rule of Thumb: If it has tyres or testicles, you're going to have trouble with it.

On 07/13/2016 06:15 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

I can't help it if something cramps your style.

I would never say such a girly thing.
--
Collectively, humans have spent almost 13,261 years watching the Gangnam Style video.

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 01:15:46 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:

We do. It's an intransitive verb that is usually only actioned by musculature:
- Due to the cold, my fist cramped closed. - Don't yawn too hard or your digastricus might cramp.
I suppose that it is also correct to designate 'to cramp' a transitive verb which requires musculature as a direct object. It is possible to deliberately cramp a muscle, but normally this is not done due to the pain involved.
On 7/13/16 8:13 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:

That could be an advantage if the pain is somebody else's. In my childhood, boys believed that a punch to the right spot on the upper arm or thigh could cause a cramp, called a Charlie horse.
Friend 1: What horse won the Kentucky Derby?
Friend 2: I don't know.
Friend 1 (punches him): Charlie horse!
It hurt, but I never felt or saw it cause a cramp, and anyway we didn't use "cramp" as a transitive verb.
"Charlie horse" was discussed in a.u.e. recently. The origin seems to be unknown.
--
Jerry Friedman
"No Trump" bridge-themed political shirts: cafepress.com/jerrysdesigns