G clamp or C clamp?

Page 5 of 8

The Chinese also make much of the "Branded good stuff".
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

That's the Japanese.
--
It is preferential to refrain from the utilization of sesquipedelian verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualization can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities.

[snip]

And often from the same factory,
Jan
On Sunday, July 31, 2016 at 1:06:42 PM UTC-4, James Wilkinson wrote:

Yep. 100% of the time, no exceptions, never ever *ever*...nope, good stuff ain't ever going to come out of China.
I'm guessing at this point you just want to hear yourself talk.
On 7/13/2016 4:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

As a Yank my preference is for C clamps and G strings.

It'a "c" clamp when it's open, and a "G" clamp when it's partway closed and a "GD" clamp when you can't find it!!
And on the subject of clamps I still haven't figgured out why Britts use "g-clamps" to "cramp" something together - - - -

We don't. Do you mean crimp? We don't use cramp as a verb. Normally we'd say something like "this tent is cramped", meaning it's so small we're sleeping on top of each other.
--
You know you're getting old when:
Your friends compliment you on your new alligator shoes and you're barefoot.
On 07/13/2016 7:15 PM, James Wilkinson wrote: ...

That surprises me to hear--I _know_ I've heard/seen the usage altho I don't know that could put my hands on an example.
I remember getting a kick when last over there of the sign for a cabinetmaker's shop of "Joinery for Purpose"...not a phrase one would see over here; it'd just be "Custom-built" or "Custom-made".

That might surprise a member of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

On 07/13/2016 7:43 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
Dates from the "wayback" machine...when have you _ever_ seen the term in advertising a commercial cabinet shop in the US? Since the early 20th century, _maybe_?

There is also a woodworking tool called a "joiner". It's purpose is to give a smooth, straight edge to a piece of wood. I was confused by the name until I realized that with a smooth, straight edge, the piece of wood could be "joined" together with a second piece.
A "planer" does the same thing with the wider part of the piece of wood.
--
charles

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 10:16:49 AM UTC-4, Charles Bishop wrote:

I'm a joiner.
I joined the Boy Scouts, the PTA, my church, AAA and some friends at a ball game.
On 7/14/2016 7:16 AM, Charles Bishop wrote:

A joiner is a person. A jointer is a tool.
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 07:35:33 -0700, Taxed and Spent wrote:

What do you call the tool who passes out joints?
--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

On 7/14/2016 9:47 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:

I don't know, but he's got long hair, has the munchies, and says "hi dude!" a lot!
--
Maggie

A dealer.

a TOOL.
On 07/14/2016 08:47 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:

Yo, dude!

and jointer can be a trade in the electrical industry. Someone who joints cables with a joint.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Isn't that rather limited?
--
Chaos will reign over order - it's easier to implement.