FYI - Snake in Garden Soil

We bought a large bag of Miracle Grow garden soil mix and a couple bags to topsoil to mix for planting some trees. I dumped all together in a garden cart this morning and started mixing some in some of the native soil and found a 3-4 foot long bull snake looking back at me.
My wife called the HD where we bought them (soil and snake) and the manager was very straight forward. He had been seeing quite a few "critters" coming in on soil and mulch pallets during the past year or so. These included snakes, scorpions and at least one tarantula. This was his first report of a snake inside of a bag. He apologized and said he would pass it on to the supplier. He also said he was pretty sure the snake was in the Miracle Grow because the topsoil was probably too packed and the garden soil contained some nutrients and organic material that would sustain the snake.
Then I ran across this:
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2011/03/man_bit_by_copperhead_potting_soil_bag.php
Yikes! Be careful out there!!!
RonB

No cash compensation? I'd contact Miracle Gro and tell them HD says they're snake sellers. (-:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2011/03/man_bit_by_copperhead_potting_soil_bag.php
Even more amazing is the kid who set a fire in Wal-mart that cost $1M.
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2011/04/dustin_walls_walmart_fire_fee.php
You'd think kids would know that Wal-mart has more cameras per square foot than any other retailers. They make them pretty obvious. Now he has a $1M judgment against him. I guess they've got to - in case he wins the lottery or something. Wouldn't that be a bite - to win the lottery and then have to turn it over to Wal-mart.
I microwave all potting soil because one year I ended up with a zillion teensy flies in the house that hatched from eggs that were embedded in the allegedly sterilized soil. Ten minutes in the microwave seems to solve that problem. Probably would have solved the snake problem too but then I only buy the very small bags. I've gotten so many potato-shaped rocks in 5 lb bags of potatoes I am beginning to suspect a conspiracy. (-:
-- Bobby G.

Huh? He got a $50 snake for free. He OWES them money...
(Why don't I ever get free snakes when I go to home depot?)

they're
Huh? He got a $50 snake for free. He OWES them money...
(Why don't I ever get free snakes when I go to home depot?) ============================================= Careful what you wish for. One of the funniest things I've ever seen was the episode on Malcolm in the Middle where Hal brings home an old wardrobe he finds in a dump to refinish. He opens it and asks "Why would anyone keep all these black bow ties hanging up in this wardrobe" a few seconds before the bats all wake up and fill his house.
-- Bobby G.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2011/03/man_bit_by_copperhead_potting_soil_bag.php
That's a nasty one. I still have a couple bags of top soil I bought a year ago at Ace Hwd. Any thing in there would be dead by now. ww

Every bag I get I first stick my hand in, or that's what I used to do.
Greg
Andy comments:
I think I would write a letter to MiracleGro describing the incident, and suggest that, in the future, they put the dirt in one bag and the snake in a different bag so the customer could mix them according to his own preference.....
Andy in Eureka, Texas