FYI: Home a/c cuts heat-related deaths by 80%

" [A] new study has found that home air conditioning played a key role in reducing American death rates over the past half-century, by keeping people cool on extremely hot days. The installation of air conditioning in American homes is the reason why the chances of dying on an extremely hot day fell 80 percent over the past half-century, according to an analysis by a team of American researchers."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/study-home-air-conditioning-cut-premature-deaths-on-hot-days-80-percent-since-1960/2012/12/22/5b57f3ac-4abf-11e2-b709-667035ff9029_story.html

I didn't know the percentage but this doesn't come as any surprise. I've heard of people dying in their home due to the summer heat in Texas. I do wonder tho, if one drank a lot of water in those cases, if it would spare their lives?
Doug wrote:

Dunno about DRINKING water, but getting in a bathtub full of water sure works.

Around a decade ago, Chicago had a heat wave that killed so many people the coroner's office had to bring in refrigerated trucks to store the bodies. Always thought that was sorta ironic.
It's a few months out of season for discussion. But, perhaps a few months from now, someone can raise this issue again. As a heating and AC service guy, I assure you that a properly serviced system cools better, and uses less elctric. Window and through the wall AC also need service.
I'm sure good running AC will save lives.
Around a decade ago, Chicago had a heat wave that killed so many people the coroner's office had to bring in refrigerated trucks to store the bodies. Always thought that was sorta ironic.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/study-home-air-conditioning-cut-premature-deaths-on-hot-days-80-percent-since-1960/2012/12/22/5b57f3ac-4abf-11e2-b709-667035ff9029_story.html
Proly also prevents a few homicides.... :)
But A/C itself also contributes to the heat problem (and Gore-bal Warming), by thermodynamic defnition, creating an ever-increasing spiral of "A/C dependency".....
For example, all NYC subway cars are air-conditioned, rendering some stations blisteringly hot (130 F), which then need to be A/C'd, and then all THAT heat needs to be vented....
Urban areas are distinctly hotter than immediate outlying areas, from A/C, blacktop, cars, overall energy concentration.
--
EA