[Fwd: towel warmer/heater]

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------A23F39738C5DA317ED13772A Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------A23F39738C5DA317ED13772A Content-Type: message/rfc822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:09:59 -0230
Subject: Re: towel warmer/heater
Jackie Kuscher wrote:

Noting you are putting in a whole new heating system I offer the following comment: Some 30 years ago many people were responding to the "Liver better electrically" theme. We decided when we built this 1530 sq. foot single storey house in 1970/71 to go 'all electric'. We did later put in a fireplace (which is a real heat loser btw). We also have a full basement that is unfinished (work shops) and minimally heated. Without heat it stays at about 55 to 60 degrees (ground temperature). Electricity rates have risen since 1971 but we are quite well satisfied; electricity now costs including monthly charge and taxes about 8.5 Canadian cents per unit/kilowatt hour. So if that 500 watt heater in our bathroom runs continuously for one hour it costs us, on average, 4.25 cents; OK? 8.5 cents is about 6 cents US per kilowatt hour. We generate the stuff in Newfoundland Labrador by the way, but that system is not connected to where we live! It mostly goes to other provinces and is sold to northern US states electrical distribution companies. In Ontario Canada residential electricity rates are reputed to be considerably lower. They tried deregulating the electrical system and their was such a political outcry that the provincial government passed legislation and arranged rebates to residential consumers! Our house was built by two carpenters and myself. I did all the electric, plumbing etc. and finished the inside of the house. Repairs to the all electric system have been minimal and with individual heaters and thermostats in each room it has been easy to turn off those areas not much in use. Or if someone not well to individually adjust that bedroom to it's individual setting. Actual repairs have been three room thermostats (Well two. Since one was changed for appearance purposes.), and one thermostat built in (actually the one in the bathroom. It got struck by something I think.) and one circuit breaker. None of the heaters have failed. We have replaced several hot water tanks but that's more due to the water (acid rain etc.) than electrical. Opposed to say oil heat we have had no chimney sweeping or replacement and/or furnace maintenance or oil tank replacement problems or costs. When we installed the fireplace it was necessary to remove a 2000 watt heater and we replaced it with two 750s one each side of the sliding glass doors to the outside deck. Even in our cold windy, long winter it's worked out OK. In fact we never installed several of the heaters recommended by the power company. For example one on the basement stairs landing and another in the hallway outside the four bedrooms. If your heating is mainly for seasonal/occasional cottage use and depending on your costs for electricity you might want to study the use of electricity. Cheers.