Fuzzy Math

Page 4 of 4

That is really the best practice.
My son is in the "Hospitality Management" business. He put himself through school by being a (very good) server and bartender.
The problem with not tipping a server who gave you poor service is that the bartender, the cooks, the bus boys, etc. also don't get a tip, even though they may have provided excellent service - service that the patron didn't experience directly. The same goes for not tipping a very polite and efficient server because the meal itself sucked. The server gets no tip for her work when the problem was in the kitchen.
In most major restaurants tips are shared across a number of staff members, many of whom you never interact with, but that had a part in your experience.
I know, I know...they are all part of a team and if one team member screws up, the whole team loses. I get that.
However, getting the manager involved can help get to the root of the problem.
One time the service that we experienced at the table was terrible but the food (once the server got our order right) was excellent. I left no tip with the bill but I found the manager and gave her the tip explaining the issues. I told her to split the tip anyway she wanted but that it would be my preference that the server got no part of it.
I can be lenient and still tip for poor service if I can tell that the server is new and is at least trying. (Hwy, my son was new once and I'm sure he made some mistakes.) It's the gruff, uncaring "seasoned" servers who either have a lousy attitude or no attitude at all - they just don't care - that I don't like.

while I will occasionally tip, I find the idea that my tipping is necessary for the server, busboy, bartender, cooks, etc to make a living is obnoxious. A good restaurant would pay a great salary in order to have the best people...isn't that what the republicans are always saying about free-market economies? I realize that would raise the price of my meal, but I'd feel better about that.
as an example, I occasionally eat at several buffets. I get all the food, but a "server" gets the drinks and there is the expectation of tipping. it's crazy.
--

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras lobortis volutpat
commodo. Morbi lobortis, massa fringilla adipiscing suscipit, velit urna

oh so many parents say that about their kids teachers
On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 20:49:47 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

You are good at irrelevance.

Poor Skipshite. He's so worked up he can't even pass up things I post in exchanges with other people.
Pathetic, really....
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 15:08:49 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

It is a public forum, lefty. If you don't like it, take it to email.

All Democrats are pathetic. Fortunately, I'm not one of you.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

The ones I dislike are those that squat/kneel beside your table, say,"How are you guys tonight?", introduce themselves and tell me they will be our server for the night.
1. Neither my wife nor I are guys. We aren't the waiter's contemporaries.
2. I don't care what their name is. If I want them I just say, "Waiter!". Knowing their name has no effect on the tip.
3. What else would they be other than the server? I have no interest in building a long term relationship with them.
The ones I like are those who bring food promptly, removing used plates first. The ones of whom you are never aware once they have taken your order. If you ever ate at the old Jack's in San Francisco, their waiters were what I like. Professionals.
--

dadiOH

Depends on the restaurant. In a fine restaurant, I don't want to even know the server exists. If I notice, it's because of bad service. OTOH, for a Friday night at the pizza place, we enjoy the company of the server. In fact, we've followed one around for a couple of years now. Everyone thinks we're her parents. ;-)

"we're"? What? Yer a husband and wife team pervs? ;)
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs

Sure. We tell them that we're not her parents, rather her groupies. ;-)

Perhaps you forgot to factor in the service call fee into your math...
The missing $110 that mysteriously appeared could be explained by that...