Fuzzy Math

Page 2 of 4

What's your point? If you wanted to show just how big a jerk you can be you succeeded. Normal people would have shown him his error.
Harry K
On 6/19/2012 10:43 AM, Harry K wrote:

to screw with people for personal entertainment. Who knows if he/she even called the cleaning company or if he/she even owns furniture. It was just time for another ridiculous story from a bored housewife...
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

You're welcome.
I (almost) always admit when I make a mistake.

And yet you are stillb eating your gums trying to explain your rude and uncalled for actions..to say nothing of doing nothing about resolving the problem.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

If the problem remains unresolved, it's not for want of trying on my part.

Yep...you sure did try...
You cursed out the tech, you escorted him from the premises and you spoke to a receptionist but didn't tell her what the problem was. That's what I call giving 110%.

not leaving a message with someone, anyone, regarding your complaint in fact is lack of trying. You had the chance to leave a voicemail, you didn't. you had the chance to leave a message with the receptionist, you didn't.
the problem was and is you
HeyBub wrote:

You must have too much idle time to waste. I don't want to deal with a guy(s) who needs calculator to figure that out. That is elementary school algebra. Don't even call it math.
I just went thru similar experience trying to find a reasonable contractor to replace our aging furnace. I had two model choices with result of manual J calculation I did. 4 guys in a row JUST gave me total cost+tax. 5th guy did his own manual J which was very close to my calculation. Needs 100K BTU 96% AFUE furnace, 2 stage variable speed). His quote had detailed itemized costs including tax. Surprisingly his price was the lowest. He knows what he is talking about and doing. No sales man no fancy office, but doing this for 35 years with good references.(my BIL who is in commercial side of HVAC business confirmed this independent guy's reputation. Once local tech college instructor) Only thing I have to do to help him is setting up wireless 'stat (I have two of them already, one as a back up 916MHz one and 433MHz one)

Really? Do you really fault a guy who cleans furniture for a living for using a calculator to figure out a 40% discount on a $150 job?
Would you also expect him to figure the tax on the discounted amount in his head? I've lived in places where the total sales tax might be something like 8.25%. Sure, I'm not putting a man on Mars with these calculations, but I wouldn't be embarrased to use a calculator to find 8.25% of $90.
HeyBub may have too much time on his hands, but you are way too harsh on your contractors.

Did he do the calculations in his head? Where's the line where it's OK for your contractors to pull out a calculator?

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Maybe. But I don't get screwed on contracted projects. Sorry about you.

Easy approach to doing percentages in yer head. Stuff like tips, discounts, etc:
50% off is easy. Divide by two, or one half.
10% is easy. Divide by 10.
60% is merely one half plus one tenth, in this case, 75 + 15.
65% is halving the 10% and adding it to the pile.
18%? Divide by 10, halve the 10%, Halve the 5%, and add 'em all up. That's only 17.5%, but close enough to 18% fer a tip.
Think in terms of cutting everything in half, then adding it back up. Even a senile old geezer like myself still has enough brain cells left to pull that trick off. ;)
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs

Shift the decimal point.

Which direction?
I know, I know, but wanted to keep it braindead simple. I think jes about anyone can divide by 10.
I did two things that sharpened in-my-head math skills, despite my taking algebra and trig all thru mid/hi school. I kept score at bowling and learned to count change back to cash customers. Man, those bowlers want their updated score before the pins even stop falling. ;)
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs

Divide by? To the left, obviously; make the number smaller.

Well, that's how I divide by 10. It's a *lot* easier.

I used to be able to estimate a complicated engineering problem to at least one or two significant digits. Then ('73) I bought a scientific calculator. The skill was gone within a couple of years. Now I get fouled up on the order of magnitude (though I can tell when I get it totally wrong). Children using calculators in school is nuts.

Yep. One trick I learned was to estimate the answer in advance. This keeps one from making a mistake in orders of magnitude.
One of the Manhattan scientists, Enrico Fermi, in observing the Trinity test, took a piece of paper from his pocket, tore it into small pieces and, as the shock wave reached his position, let them drop.
From the distance they were blown, he was able to estimate the magnitude of the explosion to within 50%.

I know exactly what you mean. I found myself forgetting exponents and sci notation. All a part of growing old.
Lately, I've been learning basic electronics theory. Boy, talk about dusting off some old math skills. I kinda welcome it. Keeps my geezer brain churning. I bought Schaum's pre-calculus outline and discovered even that was a bit much too soon for this old dustbin brain, so found this high school algebra refresher website. Math from and too almost any level and very well done. Brings it all back:
http://www.onlinemathlearning.com/index.html
Dusted off and am relearning how to use my HP 48GX, too. Never thought I'd find myself doing math as a way to relax. ;)
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs

I've done that every day for 35+ years and still lost the ability to estimate the answer to such equations without a calculator.

I still have my '73 vintage HP45. It works but the power switch is really flaky. I bought an HP35S five years ago and use it daily. I also have the HP-11C emulator on my Android phone.

I'm confused. Did you give him the 200?
If so, shame on you.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

If he gave him the $200 then he shortchanged the upholstery guy.
badgolferman wrote:

Ooo! Wish I'd thought of that. But no, I gave slightly over half the $200 to another company. The other company didn't charge a $45 service call, $8 for chemicals, or threaten me with perdition if I didn't include a ScochGuard treatment.