Fuses in box get hot when using Kenmore Electric Dryer (only on heat cycle)

A Zero range would be useless. 20-200-1000 means 0-20, 0-200, and

0-1000 amps - EXACTLY what you are looking for.
Reply to
clare

I justed pulled the fuse and checked the socket with an ohms meter, no short. I did another AIR cycle test and discovered I been telling you wrong I got my wires (sides) switched! Doh..Doh..!#%#!#$#@ So when I put the 15A fuse in ...in was in the heater only side and not the motor/heater side. I know I ran it on the heat cycle, but I must have ran it at the end of the cycle, cool-down portion so little or no heat.

Yeah the above statement does not make sense, will retest it. I had it running on a Heat Cycle for about 20 seconds then I flipped it to the Air only cycle and took readings, maybe the heat stayed on for a few seconds or more likely I read my notes wrong?

Yeah, the heater uses both sides. Plus, I had my sides switched in my notes, so on the Air cycle the motor side = 3.71A, the heater only side is

0, (I just re-tested it). When I run a Heat Cycle the motor/heater side increases from 3.71 to 23.6 +-.3, and the other heater only side increases from 0 to 21.5 +-.3.

Umm, I gave you bad info, so that's not true. The motor is 3.71A, the heater on the motor side is approx 20A (23.6 - 3.71 = 19.89), and the other side (heater only side) is approx 21.5A.

Thank you for your time, Jim

Reply to
Jim2009

You don't understand how that thing is wired. You have 3 wires. The heater connects from the red to the black. That is from fuse 1 to fuse

  1. and is nominaly 240 volt. The heater does not know the white wire even exists - so whatever the heater draws on the one fuse, it draws EXACTLY the same on the other fuse. The motor and the timer motor run on nominally 120 volts , which is from one fuse to the neutral.
Reply to
clare

I'm just saying what the meter reads, no heat 3.71A on one leg, with heat the same leg increases about 20A, and the other from 0 to about 21.5A. I don't know why they are different but it's plain to see that there are.

Reply to
Jim2009

I think you still have a connection problem somewhere and you are still making heat somewhere other than at the element.

Reply to
clare

Hmm, OK, I will keep that in mind. Maybe after the fuse box is replaced the increase with heat will be equal on both legs.

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim2009