fuse firing - sometimes

I recently wired a router cabinet, and when I plug it in, the fuse in the wall outlet trips. It does not do this if I just plug in tools.

What type of improper wiring would cause it to trip? I have two 2-pole receptacles and one single pole switch. All are approved, using standard ground wiring to switch boxes. Plugging in power cord powers both receptacles, which are then "light up" using the switch on the front of the cabinet.

I know this is minimum info - what else do you need to help? Thanks..

Reply to
Chris Carruth

What fuse in the wall outlet? Are we talking about a GFCI?

It never trips when you plug the router into the outlet, but sometimes trips when you plug the cabinet in?

I had a problem like this that plagued me for a year until I replaced the outlet. Then it was fine. Obviously something is bad; my guess is the outlet, though it could be the switch also.

Reply to
toller

But it *always* trips when you plug in the cabinet?

A dead short.

Going to the most likely cause: How did you wire the switch? If the white wire(s) are connected to it in any way shape or form, that's the problem. Same goes for the ground wires, other than attaching to the green ground scew on the switch. 2nd educated guess is that one of the receptacles is wired correctly (black on the brass screws, going to smaller blade opening, white on the silver screws, going to the larger blade opening) and the *other* receptacle is wired backwards. As long as you don't plug anything in, that doesn't provide a shorted path, but as soon as you plug something into each, and the somethings start to ground the neutral wire inside of the piece of gear, and you have these things bolted into a metal rack, somewhere in there you are going to get your path for the dead short.

If those aren't it, let us know.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Chris:

CC> I recently wired a router cabinet, and when I plug it in, the fuse in the CC> wall outlet trips. It does not do this if I just plug in tools.

Are you talking about the type of outlet used with furnances and washing machines which has a single outlet and a glass fuse inside a small metal box? Try a slow-blow version of the fuse. Use the same amperage. IIRC there is an "S" on the fuse to indicate it is a slow-blow variety.

I think what is happening is the high start-up current is blowing your fuse. A slow-blow type will allow a momentary overload but still blow is there is an extended problem.

  • Got myself into a pickle today. How do I get out?
Reply to
barry martin