Furring out a concrete wall by 2-1/2"

I have a 4" thick concrete block wall between my utility room and garage.

Due to new plumbing (washing machine, laundry sink) and an adjacent half bath, I have two 2" PVC vent lines that runs up the concrete wall.

I do not want to chip out a vertical section of this concrete wall to recessed the vents. Furthermore, there are some 3/4" copper supply lines that run horizontally, going behind (I did chip out the walls there) where they meet the 2" vents.

So I decided I will furr out the wall by using 2x3 studs spaced 16" apart - thinking 2x3 is about 2-1/2" wide, and the 2" vents are 2" diameter "nominally" which is actually bigger than 2".

But how do I attach the 2x3 studs "depth wise" to the concrete wall? I cannot use 5" Tapcons and it might split the wood. Do I need to use some special Simpson brackets or angles?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
nmbexcuse

Why don't you just attach the 2X3's to a top and bottom 2X3 plate? Then you just attach it to the floor and the joists or similiar on top. It should be sufficient strength without bracingto the wall especially after you put on sheetrock or plywood.

Reply to
Mike rock

I still need to attach the top/bottom plates to the concrete wall, as there is nothing above (joist) to attach it to since it runs parallel to the trusses.

Reply to
nmbexcuse

Put 2x4 blocking between the trusses and nail the top plate to those.

Mike Paulsen

Thanks.

I think I got it now. The light bulb just went on.

This is just like a new interior wall. This is not "furring out more from the concrete wall".

Much appreciated!

MC

Reply to
nmbexcuse

You can still attach the furring to the block wall with screws, without splitting the strips, if you pre-drill the screw holes through the wood.

Reply to
SteveBell

Two ways:

1) Just use steel rt. angle brackets. Attach bracket first with to the wall or to the wood. Either way "works."

2) Countersink holes into the 2x3 to the point where you can use, say, a 2

1/2" tapcon.

I had a varistion of the problem and I happened to have some drape hanging bracket hardware that did the job.

If you collect "junk" you might find something that will do the job.

Reply to
John Gilmer