Furnance Question - Cycling

Page 1 of 2
I have a comfortmaker RPJ2 that has a problem. When it goes on everything appears to operate fine. The blower is going the ignitor ignites for about 5-30 seconds than kicks off. It seems to do this about two times and on the third time it stays lit and runs. I am suspecting this maybe something related to safety that might be kicking in? Possibly the thermocouple not registering the heat from the flame?
FWIW - I am not going to crack it open and start trying to fix it. I am going to leave it up to the pro's that will show up on Monday. However, I am trying to get some what of an idea of what the problem could be so when the tech starts talking I won't feel so stupid.
Also any thoughts on the Comfortmaker RPJ2 - is this a good unit? Cheap? How efficient or old (do they still make this model, etc)?
Amy
We have found it to be a very reliable furnace if installed properly. They do tend to be a bit noisy. RPJ2 is not the model number. You will find that on the rating plate inside the burner compartment. Sounds like you may need a new hot surface igniter.

That, or flame sensor rod.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

to something else. HVAC isnt yours or Stormys field. Here's a quarter. Go buy a clue. Bubba

If you read her post, she states the igniter ignites for about 5-30 seconds. If she had stated that the burners went on and off then it would seem to be a flame sensor problem. There is no need for nastiness or name calling. The only way to properly diagnose the problem is to have a contractor check the furnace and she is having that done in a few days.

Zed wrote:

Opportunities for nastiness and name calling seem to be the only reason "Bubba" and several others appear here.

and you are here for ...................? Oh, that's right. So we can see your regergitated shit. Bubba

....and if YOU had finished reading her post, YOU would have seen that she said "on the third time it stays lit and runs". YOU said it needs a new hot surface igniter!!! WTF?? Wrong answer. Is there any part of my post you dont understand now? As for Stormy, he is a proven idiot and even dangerous at times. Bubba

http://www.contractortalk.com/showthread.php?tS2

I am not an HVAC person. But if you have or can locate a manual for your unit it should contain a flow chart that shows the start up sequence. If you can follow that chart and understand it it will keep you from being sold a "bill of bull".
Colbyt
This is Turtle.
Look up Arcoaire gas furnaces and look the model number up and you will get it. the RPJ2 is just another name for Arcoaire .
TURTLE
http://www.hvacmechanic.com/forums/resservice/messages/11778.htm
Amy L wrote:

Slight dirt/rust build up on the surface of flame sensor(you said it's thermocouple) can make it less sensitive. Gently clean it with emery cloth or fine sand paper. Common problem.

This is Turtle.
It would be hard to say which part it was but it is one of these. Flame sencewr, stop up jet on pilot, Vent Fan Air prover switch, or the relay board. Now it could be a squirrel that got stuck in the vent pipe from the roof.
RPJ2 / Arcoaire/ Carrier / Whirlpool / or any ICP products will be replaced with the parts. the last one i worked on , i got the parts from Arcoaire warehouse for the model numbers was the same to find parts.
TURTLE
The thing that "registerst he heat from the flame" is a flame sensor rod, and they do go bad. I've replaced a couple of them. We see a lot of Rheem furnaces in NYS, and so those are the ones I've repaired.
By "igniter ignites" do you mean that you have gas flame, or just a glowing orange thingie dingie?
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

The tech found the issue and it was indeed a dirty flame sensor rod. He was able to clean it to make it work. I went ahead and asked him to just replace it which he did. All in all it was pretty cheap $70.00 for the service call and part replacement. The furnance has been running perfect since than.
Amy

This is a common problem, and easily solved by cleaning the sensor tip with steel wool. You wasted your money on a new sensor. The next time it happens, just let them clean it. You don't throw out your pots and pans when they get dirty.