Furnace won't restart

Not one of the circuit board, which has about 30 parts, maybe including an IC, but I understand the wiring of the rest of it. It's pretty simple.
On the circuit board, there's a mechanical relay, with a clear plastic cover, that trips when it tries to run but there's no flame, or I'm sure, when the fire chamber gets too hot, etc.
You remind me that about 20 years ago, it tripped because I'd run out of fuel, and I couldnt' get it to reset. (The red buttom presses on something that goes through the top cover of the relay.) I think it seemed like it had reset, but nothing ran. I took out the circuit board and tried to clean the contacts, and couldnt' get the file in. Then I looked through all my relays for a replacment, then through all the relays in my catalogs, and couldn't find the right size in a latching relay. The next step was to use a relay that didn't fit and run wires to it from the circuit board. But instead I put it back together and it worked and it's been working fine for 20 years!!!!
That was the first reason I saved the neighbor's burner, to have a replacment relay, but I havent' needed it.
On 12/18/2013 11:01 AM, micky wrote:
[snip]

That's often the case here. Outside, sunlight hitting you can make it a lot warmer.
--
7 days until The winter celebration (Wednesday December 25, 2013 12:00
AM for 1 day).
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Hi, If humidity is high, you feel colder.
On 12/18/2013 12:01 PM, micky wrote:

Call back the tech who did the work. Could be bad electrode setting, clogged filter, leak in the fuel line. Or....
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/18/2013 8:31 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Make/model/year is beneficial information.
On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 12:01:54 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

We had a problem with our oil fired water heater this summer. Turned out that there's a photo cell, a light sensor, in the combustion chamber that shuts things down if there's no flame. After replacing that, it worked fine.

Quite often wiping the soot off of the flame sensor fixes the problem - soot on the cell means it doesn't get enough light from the flame to tell the relay the fire is lit.