Furnace: variable fan or not, Trane?

I am getting close to making a final decision on a 90+ furnace. Although I have one more representative coming in, it looks as if I will go with the company which installs Trane products. The company came highly recommended by a friend, has a good reputation (uses all certified techs), has the best price, and I was the most impressed with the sales rep.

My understanding is that Trane makes a good quality product. However my questions are:

Are they generally easy to service? How do they compare in terms of reliability and durability to other units? Are the parts reasonable priced and easy to get? (non-proprietary)

I was looking primarily at the 2 stage 90+ without the variable speed blower. However, with rebates the variable speed unit is within about $300 of the non variable unit. The variable speed unit also has a 10 year versus

5 year warranty.

I do not run the fan at all times and my electric bills with current furnace are not high in winter.

I undersatnd that the variable speed fan motor is quite expensive compared to the standard (4 stage?) motor. How much difference would there be in cost? Does the variable speed fan cause other complications that may be more expensive in the long run? The sales rep. said that the variable speed fan is, in general, more durable than the standard fan. Is this true? If so how much more durable?

What type of igniter does the Trane use and how durable/dependable is it? Can it be repaced inexpensively and easily? (so that an able do it yourselfer could replace one if need be)

Would the variable fan unit with 10 year warranty be a better value?

The other contender is a Luxaire (York) unit with two stage burner and standard fan. How does this compare to the Trane?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Hoza

recommended

I had a gas American Standard/Trane furnace with a VFD installed 8 years ago. I got the VFD for the a/c part. Specifically humidity removal. The unit was fine for 4 years then the bell houseing on the motor crapped and I needed a new one. Seem there was a recall that I was un aware of. The part was $70. It took me all day to R&R it.

I have not a clue way you would want a VFD on a heater. I would want hot air now everywhere if that was its primary job. I live where heating is an after thought, Cooling is primary, well over 2000 hours annually.

Equipment is equipment. Rating is a rating. The installer makes or breaks the system.

I was pleased with my AS and would buy another one if I was staying in a home longer than I do.

Reply to
SQLit

Mike -

See also my reply in alt.hvac

Look online at

and consider buying direct.

Reply to
eyevinyl

Go with the variable speed. You'll be glad you did....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I purchased a high energy efficient Trane gas furnace and air conditioner in the early 90's and never had so much trouble with it in all of my home owning days. Immediately after installation, the first problem was 'dirty sock syndrome' that the installing company didn't know how to handle and then it cost me $425 to have the condenser coils coated with teflon on a brand new unit after a factory rep came to my house to diagnose it. After that it was one thing after another. Never again. This house, I replaced the old unit with a different gas pack/air conditioner 3 years ago and haven't had a single problem!!

Reply to
f350forddually

Dirty sock happens to all brands. The manufacturers still have different opinions on what causes it. Most common on heat pumps in high humidity aresa. Cleaning the indoor coil and keeping it wet fo at least 10 minutes with disinfectant helps the most. Otherwise the indoor coil (Evaporator coil) needs replaced with a heresite coated coil. Trane now provedes a new coil 1 time for dirty sock, as does American Standard as does Lennox as do some others.

Sorry to hear you had problems. My next system will have a variable speed blower for sure!

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

"Mike Hoza" wrote