Furnace statistics now in

Page 2 of 2
On 03/05/2015 11:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

ry value as far as I am concerned.

It actually will, I forgot the look at the electric savings...
On 03/05/2015 11:15 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Just checked my bill (they combine gas an electric) and yep...the electric portion was less too...so there is that to consider as well.
Anyway even if the furnace only lasts 15 years, the cost of the furnace is $240 a year.
My gas and electric combined bill for this month was $60 less than last year (and the av. temp was within one degree). Since the furnace is in heavy use four months and lighter use for three more...that's certainly more than $240 .
So it will pay for itself within it's life time and as mentioned a moot point as I needed one anyway.
On 03/05/2015 07:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Maybe you have not been to Wis. but we do have 6-7 months of winter....no natter what the calendar says.
Anyway all a moot point as I needed a new furnace no matter what

Been to Wisconsin. Have friends at Cascade. Also up in Sheldon. The summers are beautiful.
On 03/06/2015 04:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

and so are the Winters, I don't usually mind the cold.
Cascade is a beautiful area.
The drive on HWY 33 out to LaCrosse is one of the most beautiful there is.

$210.00 for one month!!!!!! Where are you located? I am in Canada and I only pay $70.00 per month for heat, hot water and cooking, the 10 month billing will total $700.00 for the year including everything as well as the GST tax. Now electric costs, we pay through the nose!

$750 a year here in Ontario for gas.
On 03/06/2015 09:00 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Do you get a discount if you pay in "Spock" five dollar bills?
On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 8:03:48 PM UTC-5, EXT wrote:

I'm in NJ, last two bills were $200, $225 for nat gas. That's for heat and hot water. House is 3100 sq ft. In summer, with just hot water, it's $17
On 03/07/2015 07:35 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Nice sized house, do you want to store some 1940's console radios for me?
On 03/06/2015 06:52 PM, EXT wrote:

Several things. I only listed the gas portion but to give a better idea, we get a combined gas and electric bill.
That was something like $360 which was about $60 less than the same month last year. To make an honest comparison I was fortunate that the average temps. were within a degree. (The power company provides plenty of statistics.)
Anyway there are several things at play here.
1) My house is 118 years old and though I have replaced most of the windows and done some insulating...the insulation here is not even close to today's standards.
2) My wife keeps the heat on much higher than I would ever consider.
We semi-compromise by keeping the majority of the house around 68F.
In my own office I keep the heat 62,,,,but in her studio which has supplementary electric base-board heating. she cranks it up to 85F
The good news is that in summer, out bills are tiny.
We live near the lake and do not need central air... at most just run one window air conditioner a few days a year.

Our electric runs about $1400 per year. 2 or 3 computers running 24/7.AC from a few days to a few weeks per year depending on the summer. Occaisionally heating the garage for a few hours at a time to run my lathe in the winter, plus running it in the summer. We have awitched over to virtually all LED with a few CFL except for the garage and yard lights which are incandescent. Upgraded the 30 year old microwave to an inverter model, refrigerator is 22 years old and the freezer is 34, the AC about 8 or 10 (salvaged from the neighbours when they replaced furnace and AC with higher efficiency units - AC was only about 5 years old at the time). It replaced the unit installed when the house was built 40 odd years ago. Wife uses the electric drier all winter, hangs laundry out as much as possible in good weather. Gas water heater, electric range.
We are on time of use billing and my good wife times her laundry and cooking for the low/mid times and avoids peak use.
On 03/07/2015 09:38 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: <snip>
mise by keeping the majority of the house around 68F.

After I thought about this I realized it was not really a question of whether or not the furnace would pay for itself...as I needed to replace it anyway.
It really should have been, was the hi-efficiency type worth the difference in price as compared to an 80% efficiency type.
Since the furnace was only a few hundred dollars more and if I got the 80% furnace I'd have needed a $1000 chimney insert... It paid for itself on the spot.
Even if it's expected life is five years less than the 80% type... it still will have been worth it.

Here in Ontario you no longer have a choice. Can't install anything other than high efficiency any more.
On 03/07/2015 06:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I did not even ask but I think in the US we can still get an 80% furnace.
On 3/7/2015 7:52 PM, philo wrote:

With our ever shrinking freedoms, 80% furnace will go the way of the 3 gal toilet, and the rifle wtih 10 round detachable magazine. And refrigerators with freon.
On Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 7:52:55 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:

I think you're right. King Obama tried to ban them for states in the colder parts of the country. He got sued, as he frequently does. I think rather than fight, this time they withdrew. That;s unusual and I would expect that they'll try to do it again, maybe via a different means. But, AFAIK, 80% is still legal anywhere.
On 3/7/2015 8:51 PM, trader_4 wrote:

When 80% furnaces are outlawed....
Wait till they start smuggling them in from Mexico.
"Honey! The furnace install team is here....."
http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/immigration/migrants.jpg