Furnace squeaks when it turns off

We should start a thread on "made it work, with what we got on hand". One of my favs, was when a motorist's auto accelerator cable shield frazzled. Gas pedal flat on the floor. I had some nylon line, so I rigged it around and over. Pull the cord to accelerate. I hope he go thome OK.

.

Thanks. Wide and long experience, and necessity being the mother of invention, and all that. - a voracious reader with extremely varied interests.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Onanism often started out in the garage or barn, but it was not pulling the rope.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Old enough to not have a recoil starter. Similar to the one at;

but square tank and no recoil.. My guess? sicties.

Technically, perhaps, but with my old panel it's foolproof. I can only connect to 2 different circuits - - and it cannot backfeed to any other circuits . It involves pull-out fuse blocks on an old ammalgamated panel. When I put in a new breaker panel I'll have to re-engineer things.

Reply to
clare

Best one I saw was a newfoundlander with a '55 Pontiac came into the shop and wanted to borrow a few wrenches. The old six was knocking to beat the band. He dropped the pan, disconnected the blown con-rod and jammed the piston up to the top of the cyl with a piece of 2X4, then cut odd a few inches of his belt and clamped it onto the crank with a hose-clamp. He buttoned it up and returned my wrenches, then headed back to Nfld from Elmira Ontario.

Reply to
clare

Same for my late 1950's motor and separate blower

Reply to
hrhofmann

I heard that Mormons squeak while having sex !!!! :)

Reply to
homeowner

Some troll, a master at baiting, is about to drop a load on the ground, in this group. What a jerk off!

"Can I wire and power just enough lights to need glasses?"

.

Onanism often started out in the garage or barn, but it was not pulling the rope.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sigh. It's true. We have to do marital relations oily in the moining.

.

I heard that Mormons squeak while having sex !!!! :)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had an old lawn mower with a rope start, no recoil. I finally made a rig for my electric drill, so I could spin the flywheel via the nut, and get it going that way. Doesn't apply to generator, used when the power is out.

.

Old enough to not have a recoil starter. Similar to the one at;

but square tank and no recoil.. My guess? sicties.

Technically, perhaps, but with my old panel it's foolproof. I can only connect to 2 different circuits - - and it cannot backfeed to any other circuits . It involves pull-out fuse blocks on an old ammalgamated panel. When I put in a new breaker panel I'll have to re-engineer things.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So... I thought the system would let me know when people replied to my post... so I came back to see if I could bump this and WOW, everyone here has given me a ton of leads and advice... Thank you so much to everyone who replied!! :)

Reply to
Mark P Williams

I did it once - on the Onan - and when it started it took the flywheel nut/bolt right off. On the other hand, that's how a friend of mine started his Honda lawn mower for 2 seasons after he pulled the rope out of the starter.

Reply to
clare

Blowers in all the furnaces I've had anything to do with have had permanently lubed bearings for many decades now. In fact every residential type motor, fan, etc that I've seen for a very long time doesn't require periodic lubrication.

Also the design of the high efficiency furnaces may not even allow for access to the bearings for lubrication. Not saying that IF the squeak is actually coming from the bearing, THEN it would be appropriate to lube it. Just that everyone shouldn't be worried that they need to regularly lube bearings that have no provision for lubing.

Reply to
trader4

The furnace is a high efficiency unit that is ten years old. That says to me that there is no belt. Has anyone seen such a furnace with a belt drive? Every one I've seen has been direct drive.

Reply to
trader4

But have you seen a high efficiency 10 year old furnace that requires oiling? Or that uses a belt drive? Not in my world.

Reply to
trader4

No, I haven't and I never said I did.

I was merely responding to: "But I never had a furnace that required oiling any part of it."

Nothing more, nothing less.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

e:

Then it's probably a good idea to point that out, so that the OP who asked the question about his problem, doesn't go looking for things we know don't exist.

Reply to
trader4

Did we ever hear back from the OP?

.

But have you seen a high efficiency 10 year old furnace that requires oiling? Or that uses a belt drive? Not in my world.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

First question is what do you mean by the "furnace shutting off"? If it's when the burner stops, then it could be something to do with the combustion air supply, which presumably is via fan. Or is it when the air handler blower stops, in which case it's not combustion related? If it's the latter, could be some duct work at the furnace flexing as the air pressure stops.

Reply to
trader_4

It happens when the burner shuts off. It’s like a pressure differential or something. The exhaust blower fan keeps going. I checked the combustion air inlet. Can’t find anything.

Reply to
jyauman