Furnace squeaks when it turns off

Page 3 of 3
On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 19:32:19 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Thanks. Wide and long experience, and necessity being the mother of invention, and all that. - a voracious reader with extremely varied interests.

We should start a thread on "made it work, with what we got on hand". One of my favs, was when a motorist's auto accelerator cable shield frazzled. Gas pedal flat on the floor. I had some nylon line, so I rigged it around and over. Pull the cord to accelerate. I hope he go thome OK.

Thanks. Wide and long experience, and necessity being the mother of invention, and all that. - a voracious reader with extremely varied interests.
On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 21:31:12 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

shop and wanted to borrow a few wrenches. The old six was knocking to beat the band. He dropped the pan, disconnected the blown con-rod and jammed the piston up to the top of the cyl with a piece of 2X4, then cut odd a few inches of his belt and clamped it onto the crank with a hose-clamp. He buttoned it up and returned my wrenches, then headed back to Nfld from Elmira Ontario.
On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 12:23:56 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Not possible, because I never said that, and won't.

Well, maybe we'll see if the OP can find an oil cup. And maybe we'll never know.

Same for my late 1950's motor and separate blower

But have you seen a high efficiency 10 year old furnace that requires oiling? Or that uses a belt drive? Not in my world.

No, I haven't and I never said I did.
I was merely responding to: "But I never had a furnace that required oiling any part of it."
Nothing more, nothing less.

Then it's probably a good idea to point that out, so that the OP who asked the question about his problem, doesn't go looking for things we know don't exist.
Did we ever hear back from the OP?
But have you seen a high efficiency 10 year old furnace that requires oiling? Or that uses a belt drive? Not in my world.
On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 13:39:17 -0600, Vic Smith

MOST had gone to direct drive permanently lubricated by that timeframe.
I have totally no confidence that any lubrication is permanant. Yeah, oilite bronze bearings, and all. But, I don't believe it.
The "old iron" needed regular oiling, but the OIP said new in 2002 - MOST had gone to direct drive permanently lubricated by that timeframe.
On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 19:31:07 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

lub runs out, it's done. Some stuff cannot be lubed without total dissassembly. Some things you can puncture and oil - and some things just totally go heck in a handbasket if you get the wrong kind of oil in trying to do right.
Lubed for life, backwards, means it dies when the lube runs out.
I've had to drill, and pump some oil in. At least once, in the last few weeks.
"permanently lubed" really means "lubed for life" - as in, when the lub runs out, it's done. Some stuff cannot be lubed without total dissassembly. Some things you can puncture and oil - and some things just totally go heck in a handbasket if you get the wrong kind of oil in trying to do right.

the fan swirched from high (heat or cool) to low (standby circulation) and not when starting. The inertia of the spinning fan was higher than the accereation torque of the motor. Switching to low was like slamming the brakes.

The furnace is a high efficiency unit that is ten years old. That says to me that there is no belt. Has anyone seen such a furnace with a belt drive? Every one I've seen has been direct drive.
On Sunday, January 6, 2013 8:37:28 PM UTC-5, Mark P Williams wrote:

Not normal.
Also not rocket science to run over to the furnace, stand there and LISTEN to see if you can narrow down the source of the sound.
You should also consider calling a professional. An experienced reputable professional has certainly seen this exact problem before and should have a pretty good idea what the problem probably is without even hearing the noise or looking at the unit. All he'll need to know is the model of the unit and the circumstances under which the noise happens.
So... I thought the system would let me know when people replied to my post... so I came back to see if I could bump this and WOW, everyone here has given me a ton of leads and advice... Thank you so much to everyone who replied!! :)
--
Mark P Williams