Furnace room door - OK to leave open?

Page 2 of 2
So, what would be the benefit of the 'real' thermostat vs. the Home Depot variety? Inaccurate? More likely to catch my house on fire? What does $15 more buy me?
KD
message

$30.
Honeywells....
one

they

This is Turtle.
KD , Hunter just sucks from day one. I change thermostats out for problem with them and about 80% of them is going be a Hunter or Jade. Both are the same manufactor. Buy any brand except a Hunter if you want it to last for more than a year or two. Now maybe 50% will work good for a long time but the cards are stacked against you when you start out with a Hunter. Now hunter makes very good ceiling fans but when it comes to thermostats. They have trash.
TURTLE

Sounds like you've been brainwashed by their propaganda.

This is Turtle.
I can't see how your system is set up but it would provide a little heat to the basement but would cost you way more fuel cost for a little heat that you would get from it. It just would be too costly to try to get a little heat from it [ pull outside air in ] . Now on the other hand your not suppose to burn liviable area air for the burner air supply to a furnace and it becomes a safety issue. If you just wanted the basement to not get too cold for storing items or just going down there everyonce in a while. Get you a Electric heater or panel ray heater with thermostat and set either on the lowest setting to keep it a little warm down there.
TURTLE
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:13:47 GMT, "Kimberly Young"

I have never used a door to the furnace room. Actually I have two furnaces in my home, one in the basement and one in the attic. The one in the attic is closed off from the rest of the house, but it does get ventilation in the attic. The furnace in the basement is open. All combustion furnaces need air (oxygen) for proper heating but probably not a draft. To reduce your heating bill, think about adding more insulation especially if you plan on living there for more than 5 years.