Furnace question, remodeling basement

Howdy everyone.

I have been remodeling my basement for the past 6 months. The entire basement was 28x30. I put drywall on the outer walls and created one interior wall which separates the new space from the "utility" area where the washer, dryer and furnace are located. The new area is aproximately 30 x 15 and the utility area is about 30x13.

I recently had my furnace serviced after another cold New Hampshire winter and the tech told me that due to the decrease in space where the furnace is, we need to install a Fresh Air Intake kit. Does this sound right to any of you folks? So far I have no door sealing off the utility area from the new area but eventually, I might have a door or at least a curtain type setup closing the doorway. Is this guy just trying to sell me stuff or is this acurate?Any thoughts from anyone are very much appreciated.

Jody

Reply to
Jody

If you don't have a door on it, then the available air has not changed. However I suggest that a fresh air intake is a good idea. It can save you a little money, keep your home a little more comfortable and make it a little safer.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You did not add any ducts to the basement? Or there were ducts before.

The fresh air intake is a good idea, though ME thinks the guy is full of it.

If you do add a door, use swinging doors like saloon doors, or cut the door down so that you have a substantial opening under the door. Or cut a 18X18 register in the door.

Reply to
SQLit

I had to add an intake when I did mine. But then I had a door.

Reply to
ronm

You didn't say how large your furnace is. I assume that is oil fired but how many BTU/hr input? Or, what is the flow rate of your nozzle?

You do need air for combustion but how much is a function of furnace size.

RB

r> I had to add an intake when I did mine. But then I had a door.

Reply to
RB