Furnace problem

Page 2 of 5
On 1/22/2015 9:31 AM, philo wrote:

I've found Trane, some times the parts are not easy or cheap to find. Part of thier trade mark, like Sears and the off spec parts.
On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 7:28:37 AM UTC-6, philo wrote:

Sorry, the image was larger on ebay and could be magnified.
On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 8:03:23 AM UTC-6, bob_villa wrote:

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x430/BenDarrenBach/trane-cnt5120-cnt3078_zpsf30f3bba.jpg
On 1/22/2015 8:28 AM, philo wrote:

Makes me wonder if some safety feature is resetting?
On 1/22/2015 12:30 AM, philo wrote:

The so called "Molex" connectors, nylon plug with several pin and hole connectors, known to go bad. It's a wise idea to spray em with WD@ when you put them back together. That displaces water, and helps the connection.
philo wrote:

Hi, If you suspect relay, there is one for HSI It is very small. I replaced a relay once on my old furnace with one for laser printer fuser control circuit. Small molded piece with 4 pins sticking out, rated at like 3 Amp./120V AC rated contacts.
On 01/22/2015 09:12 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Many years ago I used to repair control boards so I'm sure I could replace the relay...but...this being winter I'd hate to see what would happen if I screwed something up and took the furnace out completely.
Plus, since it's 23 years old, more than likely something else is going to go soon anyway...the exhaust motor is pretty discolored etc.
This is the year I was going to get a new furnace...so I'll just be a few months early
philo wrote:

Hi, In winter time when the price is high, LOL! That's what happened to my old furnace. I had to stand beside furnace and lighting it up with BBQ lighter. Being week end I couldn't get new HSI any where in town. On Monday I got one from a service tech who charged like 90.00 for it. When summer came I had the furnace replaced. Good thing we have two NG FP in the house. It was good help. Now I stock spare HSI. Hope you find a GOOD installer.
On 01/22/2015 09:37 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Even though it's winter and I am sure I'll be paying more, at least it's not a total emergency. Since the owner of the firm I called answered the phone himself on the first ring...I'm guessing that even though it's winter, he may not be that busy.
Good thing I have a few of those BBQ lighters here.
Now I realize I have another question.
Since I expect to be moving up to a high-efficiency furnace that won't need the chimney...I still will have a gas water heater that /does/ use the chimney.
I was told by a friend that without a furnace, the water heater won't exhaust properly since the chimney has no liner. ( That did not make complete sense as the water heater and furnace would not necessarily operate at the same time)
Do you or anyone else know if that's true?
If so, I may just end up getting an electric water heater and completely eliminate the chimney.
On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 9:51:03 AM UTC-6, philo wrote:

I've been using mine for 20 yrs as you describe...WH is in the chimney by itself.
On 01/22/2015 10:09 AM, bob_villa wrote:

No liner in the chimney?
If it will work as-is...one less thing I will have to deal with this weekend.
On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 10:16:18 AM UTC-6, philo wrote:

ld

ly

by itself.

I checked...I have an 8" double-walled chimney. When I bought the house the furnace was oil-fired and had a woodburner in a common stack (not code). T he WH was electric. I didn't use the woodburner. Now it's NG WH and furnace ...is your friend saying the cold draft in Winter is going to be a problem to overcome for the WH alone?
On 01/22/2015 11:13 AM, bob_villa wrote:

Yes, that'd what he told me and the guy is a building inspector... however he did make that statement without seeing the setup here.
OTOH: When the heating contractor gets here within the next couple of hours, I'll ask him for an opinion...since he does this for a living he should know.
philo wrote:

Hi, Our WH has Piezo lighter. Never had any draft problem, not even once.
On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 1:29:05 PM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:

Yes, newer WH have Piezo...how does that relate to anything here?
bob_villa wrote:

Hi, In my case they had to upgrade WH for B vent and had the chimney lined with much smaller cap. Still WH vent thru chimney. Furnace has vent going outside side ways with little slope towards furnace to prevent standing water. fresh air intake is smaller pipe within the vent with a screen. It is 2 stage one but I notice 2nd stage comes on very seldom. Also I decided to use 16x25x5 filter replacing electronic cleaner. Electric WH recovery rate is slower so always need bigger size one but they seem to last longer.
On 01/22/2015 01:25 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

The contractor told me that a liner for the water heater is recommended simply to keep the chimney from deteriorating...so I am not going to bother with that. The chimney is maybe 20 years old and I will replace the water heater (eventually) with a non-chimney type.
With my new furnace I opted for an Aprilaire filter which should be better than the piece of junk I have now.
On 1/22/2015 2:41 PM, philo wrote:

When I did installs, we often put on whole house humidifiers for winter. I think that's excellent idea.
Flow through type, not rotating drum.
On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 1:41:32 PM UTC-6, philo wrote:

Yes, a power vent is a better idea that electric...
On 01/22/2015 02:43 PM, bob_villa wrote:

I have a little while to think this over.
Don't use much hot water in this house.