Furnace problem

My furnace has been behaving strangley lately. It starts up, runs for a minute or two and stops. A few seconds later it does it again. It does this 3-4 times before finally running until the selected temperature is reached.
I thought I'd ask for your opinion on what the problem might be before I get screwed by the nice furnace repairman who used to be a surgeon but quit because he wasn't making enough money!
Help?
Hi, What kind of furnace? One with pilot light or without? If it is pilotless, maybe it has difficulty igniting? Maybe flame sensor is sluggish? Tony
Dan wrote:

Yea , you need a bypass at 100000. $ but only a furnace call at a few hundred. , GO TO school Ass Hole . only a few years , or do it yourself and shut up. Idiot

YOU are the reason why we need these NG's...and THANK YOU for reminding us of that.....warmest regards...Jim
It's a York with a pilot light.

[snip]

[snip]
Mine became a plumber. Smiles all the time ;-)
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Sure in theory, it works, but there is Alot more, Go to School or keep drinking as I do.......
I had a similar problem , the flame sensor indicator was dirty removed it wiped it off re-installed and it worked fine, that was then I have a new 2 stage furnace with a 16 seer heat pump. Its great!
Tom.

Thanks. I'll have a look at that. My furnace needs to be cleaned; is this something that would be done at the same time?
Jim & Lil wrote:

I'm not an expert. Wouldn't doing something like this invalidate the warranty?

Can you tell us: When it runs, does the fan come on? Do the burners really light? Has anything changed- perhaps a thermostat?
As some of the posters havee mentioned, this could be: A Flame sensor or limit switch.
If it were the limit switch, the fan would continue to run until the chamber cooled enough. If you are experiencing a problem where the burner is cycling several times (and you don't have one of those new super effeciency jobs) during the fan cycle, make sure of the following:
1) All of the return air vents are open unblocked 2) the air filter is clean
The guy that suggested messing with the limit switch- well I wouldn't recommend it. One of those settings has to do with making sure that the thing doesn't run until it melts.
This could also be the thermostat, but a little more unlikely unless it has been recently changed. Does this happen if the t-stat is turned all the way down?What kind of t-stat do you have?
If the flame sensor was bad, the burners should not light ( or should go out within 10-30 seconds).
Larry
4ax.com:

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:33:27 GMT, My name