Furnace problem

Have had this problem off and on for 4 years. I have a contract with my local gas company and trouble shoot my furance for free, (I paid a monthly fee).

Now to the problem, I have a blower furnace and it will just stop heating, if we reset furnace button, or turn heat completely down and then on high it will pop on again.

Last year no problems. again this year furnace it doing it again.

The gas company repair men, come out and run their test, and all say they don't see the problem, to call them if it happens again!!

I'm so tired of this.

They have not replaced anything.

My question, could it be the theromstate, last repair man said if it was the theromstate the furnace would not come on period. Could there be a short or something.

HELP

Reply to
Dottie23

Sounds like the thermostat *could* be it. Fairly cheap thing to replace if you're inclined.

Reply to
roger61611

Reply to
buffalobill

Does your furnace have some type ignition system.

Furnaces with hot surface or spark ignition prove ignition each time there is a call for heat. If for the ignition does not prove within the time the board is programed to consider safe (some) boards will lock until the call for heat is terminated.

Reply to
jolt

Hi, Basic info? What model furnace? What kinda thermostat? As simple as your manual 'stat is clogged with dust? Something loose on ;stat terminal?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

More information would help. Clarify "stops heating". Does the blower still run but no heated air? Nothing works at all? Does it go on, heat for a while, then goes cold?

What re-set are you pushing? What pops again, the re-set button?

It could be an igniter, sticking gas valve. What type of thermostat do you have?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I cannot diagnose it without being there but I can tell you that the gas company is not the ones you want working on it. you should call a local contractor to work on it. the gas company techs are usually not very experienced at working on furnaces.

Reply to
HVACTECH2

Maybe, but maybe not. There are some great local contractors, there are some real hacks. There are good technicians with the gas company, there are some hacks. In a large city like Philadelphia, there are tens of thousands of furnaces so I imagine they have some experience working on them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Only the very old furnaces have an ignition system. Now days, they just pump natural gas into the house, and it never ignites.

Your point about a lockout system is good. Which illustrates that this poster should call a HVAC company to check the furnace. With it being an intermittent problem, a clean and check (with emphasis on ignition) is also a good idea.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon