Furnace Output Pipe - How Loud Is Yours?

I have a Goodman 90+ furnace with a 3" PVC output pipe, which ends in vertical T.
Here's a side view, with W being the wall:
W W | W-------| W | W
I've always thought that it makes more noise than it should when the furnace is on. It's sounds like a steam pipe at a factory.
If I were to compare it to anything, I'd say it is 3 - 4 times louder than my AC compressor.
Is that normal?
How about a sound-deadening fiber glass blanket?
On 11/3/2010 1:21 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Goodman eh? LOL. They do make some noise. I'd say mine is 50 times louder than my a/c unit. My a/c unit is very very quiet. I'd say standing right next to the exhaust/intake is about the same as say a household vacuum at 50 feet.
--
Steve Barker

OK....then I'm not worried...just not happy.
Thanks!
On 11/3/2010 11:45 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I don't think my Goodman is anywhere near as loud as a vacuum, nor is it as loud as the AC/heat pump. The AC/heat pump (Amana) isn't that noisy, but the frequency of the noise is different. The exhaust/intake of the furnace has more high frequency components. All that said, I have an air induced water heater with an exhaust about 10' from the furnace intake/exhaust and it is by far more noisy than the furnace or AC/heat pump and it runs in the summer when you are outside. Not only is it noisy outside, it is real noisy in the basement. I hate it. But, the central vac outside vent beats them all. I probably should put a muffler on it.

Interesting. Does it seem the noise is the vent fan? Or turbulence noise in the pipe? You possibly could use a larger pipe to reduce the air speed. High eff furnaces condense at the unit so slowing the vent gas speed should not matter. If it's fan noise then you'd have to play around with the fan it's self to reduce the noise.

Sounds more like turbulence. I don't hear any of the same noise inside the house, so I doubt it's the fan.

Well it would be a bit of an experiment and depend on how complicated your pipe run is. Increasing from 3" to 4" almost doubles the area. From 7 sq in to 12.5 sq in. 6" pipe (I'm pretty sure there is not any 5") is 4 times the area of the 3". But pvc pipe is not real cheap in these sizes so if you have a straight run that is easily accessed it might be worth the experiment but otherwise I don't know. And keep in mind it is an experiment.

Mine is noisy, but I had no need to quiet it. Resonances can make things worse, and sharp exit point will make it worse. You can put a muffler on it. Why vertical T ? Odd thing people do. Put your hand over the top exit and see if it improves sound. A muffler is made with a larger pipe, preferably with a bend, with a lining of fiberglass around the perimeter then a reduction in pipe size. You want the exit to be smaller than the main pipe size. You have TWICE the exit size as your main pipe.

I am waiting for a reply ????

re: "I am waiting for a reply ????"
Since that's appears to be a question, I'll answer.
Yes, you are waiting for a reply.

Did it make more or less noise ??
Did you do anything I said ??
Are you there ??